UPNP FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 ?? How can i stream my media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewiruz

Dabbler
Ok so the last thing i was going to do was to set up my media server. But where are the UPNP,DLNA or minidlna? I mean i had all three options in nas4free but now i have none of them?

kdragon75

Wizard
I'm confused. You setting up a new NAS but your using 9.2?! Ahh you had the UFS disks. You would need to setup a plugin like Plex for streaming. You have a LOT of reading to do. Please review the user guide and search google (or your search engine of choice) for things like FreeNAS DLNA etc.
http://doc.freenas.org/

Thewiruz

Dabbler
I'm confused. You setting up a new NAS but your using 9.2?! Ahh you had the UFS disks. You would need to setup a plugin like Plex for streaming. You have a LOT of reading to do. Please review the user guide and search google (or your search engine of choice) for things like FreeNAS DLNA etc.
http://doc.freenas.org/

Well i know there is a plex plugin but i don't want to use something that uses the external internet as plex does. I don't want to share what i am doing with my home server!

I have read the user guide for Nas4free but that was a big waste of time as i made the setup and after that i just want it to work! Some years later i don't remember a shit anyway. Also i have read a lot of the freenas user guide but it seams to be for the new builds as the old docs isn't available on the old address people are pointing at.
I have read half the day just to get jails ,plugins and vpn to work but now i end upp with this shit that was the main purpose of the server.

Guess i have to start over again but with another dist that has UPNP which should be the main thing in a nas server i think,Security is another and oh i still want to use UFS as thats what my discs has now.

Also i have searched for FreeNAS DLNA and it seams like this dist is fu...d when it comes to DLNA and therefor they didnt even care about to fix it

Thanks for the reply!

kdragon75

Wizard
I have read the user guide for Nas4free but that was a big waste of time as i made the setup and after that i just want it to work!
Synology does that.
Guess i have to start over again but with another dist that has UPNP which should be the main thing in a nas server
Nope a NAS is just Network Attached Storage. Anything else is extra. Extra work or extra money.
NAS4Free aka XigmaNAS uses miniDLNA from what I can find. You may look into http://linux-bsd-sharing.blogspot.com/2012/06/howto-install-and-setup-minidlna-on.html

kdragon75

Wizard
i still want to use UFS as thats what my discs has now
That's a good way to lose your data. Data protection is what FreeNAS is all about, that and ZFS.
it seams like this dist is fu...d when it comes to DLNA and therefor they didnt even care about to fix it
Not sure what your referring to.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It is FreeNAS, use capital letters where they are supposed to be used.
I have read half the day
Some people spend weeks learning before they get their NAS up and running and there is so much to learn about FreeNAS that you could spend years and not learn it all.
Ok so the last thing i was going to do was to set up my media server. But where are the UPNP,DLNA or minidlna? I mean i had all three options in nas4free but now i have none of them?
That is not what FreeNAS is about, not the intended purpose, so if that is what you are looking for, you will need to look elsewhere. Why did you even come to FreeNAS to begin with.
I have read the user guide for Nas4free but that was a big waste of time as i made the setup and after that i just want it to work!
Nas4Free has nothing to do with FreeNAS.
Well i know there is a plex plugin but i don't want to use something that uses the external internet as plex does. I don't want to share what i am doing with my home server!
If you are that worried about people seeing what you are doing, you need to find some other solution. DLNA is not a feature of FreeNAS.
Also i have read a lot of the freenas user guide but it seams to be for the new builds as the old docs isn't available on the old address people are pointing at.
Because you need to use a newer version of FreeNAS.
and oh i still want to use UFS as thats what my discs has now.
You need to transfer your data onto ZFS, if you want to use FreeNAS, so you can use a modern version of FreeNAS instead of trying to use UFS formatted disks and a massively outdated version of FreeNAS.
They changed their name and I think that is where you need to go: https://www.xigmanas.com/

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Not sure what your referring to.

I'd say that he's perplexed about the purpose of a NAS. (get it? Plex joke, hehe)

Home users would typically use a NAS for all their storage needs, and sometime in the mid-201x's, desktop NAS CPU's became beefy enough, and freeware NAS releases that targeted the home users, started to include everything including the kitchen sink, including a variety of applications such as bittorrent, DLNA, security camera software, music streaming, cloud access, etc.. This doesn't make any of that a core function of NAS, of course.

FreeNAS is basically a testing version of TrueNAS, which is aimed at enterprise storage needs, and is heavily focused on actual NAS tasks such as storing files and providing NAS and SAN protocols. Enterprises don't store their bittorrent'ed TV collections or pirated warez on NAS. Therefore neither bittorrent nor DLNA are part of the base platform, just as those things are not present on an EqualLogic, EMC, Fujitsu, or other enterprise NAS platform. However, FreeNAS is highly extensible, and some volunteers have made available these things for FreeNAS as add-ons.

The OP was thinking he was getting a pickup truck, and didn't realize that FreeNAS is more of a full 18-wheeler.

kdragon75

Wizard
The OP was thinking he was getting a pickup truck, and didn't realize that FreeNAS is more of a full 18-wheeler.

He needs to get his CDL to drive it. :p

jgreco

Resident Grinch
He needs to get his CDL to drive it. :p

Well, yeah, that's the usual problem, isn't it? There's a slightly unrealistic expectation that you can just hop in the driver's seat and "yay." There's some definite parallels.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'd say that he's perplexed about the purpose of a NAS. (get it? Plex joke, hehe)
Very funny. I think this user actually ended up here by mistake and should be at the XigmaNAS® forum. NAS4Free just changed their name in September and it is probably going to cause some people grief going forward.

Thewiruz

Dabbler
No worries! Wont ask anything more here after this! I guess you have to be a pro to ask something here!
I know other forums where they actually helps people instead of bullying.

I have actually got help here and for that i have to say Thanks !

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
won't ask anything more here after this! I guess you have to be a pro to ask something here!
It isn't that you need to be a pro.
This isn't bullying.
I have actually got help here and for that i have to say Thanks !
You are just asking for features that don't exist in this product. You have ended up in the wrong forum. Possibly due to the fact that NAS4Free changed their name. They have the features you are looking for.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
@Thewiruz the issue you are going to run into by running such an outdated release is that not many users are going to be able to help you. Your system you are running is so far removed from the current release you're pretty much on your own when it comes to troubleshooting.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You install a four-year-old release of a product you obviously know nothing about, and can't be bothered to read the instructions. But when we point that out, we're "bullying". Right.

*plonk*

Status
Not open for further replies.