UPnP / DLNA plug-in

Which UPnP media server?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cubix

The eminent release of 8.01 is right around the corner and my toes are starting to curl thinking about 8.1.

I'm interested to hear others thoughts regarding the future of fuppes and FreeNAS or whether Serviio is a better fit, or maybe MediaTomb?

Album art, transcoding, automatic directory scans/database rebuilds, device profiles..

Get it right and the forum will be overrun by HTPC drongos and media junkies - oh the humanity!

joeschmuck

Old Man
One thing I think needs to be considered is the new system design of FreeNAS 8.x where it resides entirely on a 2GB USB Flash drive. I don't know if these UPnP plug-ins would work and maybe some hard drive space would need to be acquired for program storage and operation. I'm eager to get UPnP on my FreeNAS 8.x box so I'll be checking it out to see how I could add it manually.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Has anyone installed a UPnP application into FreeNAS yet? I tried and failed last weekend, I'll try again this weekend but I'm not certain I can get it to work due to my lack of FreeBSD/Linux experience. I'm using a VM of FreeNAS so I can test it out and roll back upon failure.

Here is what I know so far...
1) Make the USB Drive writeable (mount -uw /)
2) Add the package (pkg_add -r mediatomb)

If so, please add to to the How To Guides so we can give it a try as well.

Also, I don't care if it's MediaTomb, Serviio or whatever else it out there providing it works. I'm up for suggestions.

anon0000

Cadet
Lack of UPNP in Freenas 8 is honestly the only thing holding me back from moving to 8. I would love a tutorial on how to add this service if one is available.

adam.hafner

Cadet
I definitely agree with anon0000 that UPNP is the only thing from keeping me from upgrading as well. I think that the Serviio looks pretty promising, the only concern I would have is that some circles have certain beliefs that Java based applications have performance issues. I don't have a lot of experience with Serviio, but if it can hold it's own I think the feature-set it has looks great compared to Media Tomb and I have never been excited about Fuppes because of the manual database updates and the limited media support.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks for posting that. I'll give it a shot next week.

-Mark

joeschmuck

Old Man
Would you please create a How To Guide on adding miniDLNA in the How To section of these forums? This will help others test it out and maybe love it. I know I'll try them all out when I return home from my trip. If miniDLNA is that small, maybe it would be incorporated into FreeNAS 8.x?

mpi

Cadet
Guys, whats the matter with ushare?

Just do pkg_add -rv ushare and you have at least a dlna source.
minidlna can be installed in the same manner form the binary-repositories from freebsd.

So no need for building from ports, flooding your small boot-env with portsnap and bla.
Have fun :)

twodave

Cadet
Guys, whats the matter with ushare?

Just do pkg_add -rv ushare and you have at least a dlna source.
minidlna can be installed in the same manner form the binary-repositories from freebsd.

So no need for building from ports, flooding your small boot-env with portsnap and bla.
Have fun :)

So, I installed freenas 8 yesterday (my first nas install of any kind). I immediately found this post and installed ushare. I've got it mostly working how I want it, but every time the NAS reboots the conf file is just gone (not to mention ushare doesn't try to start on startup). It looks like ushare by default looks in /usr/local/etc/ushare.conf.

I read somewhere that this is the expected behavior, but I didn't really understand how they were suggested to circumvent it. I don't mind getting in via SSH and banging out some commands, I'm just not sure where to begin!

Is there a way to:

1. Not have to SFTP the conf file back after each restart (i don't even mind copying it from /mnt/disk1/ushare.conf)?
2. Have ushare run at startup?

Thanks in advance for any tips. I'm a bit of a noob at navigating *nix file systems/architecture :(

UPDATE: Alright, I think I've got a handle on this. When I'm done copying the files I'm going to try the following:

1. Make a copy of ushare.conf in /conf/base/etc
2. Add a "ushare.sh" script to /conf/base/etc/rc.d folder that contains:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# i like to run in xbox compliant mode
ushare -x -D

Mcavity

Cadet
Just a suggestion, anyone try ps3 media server? Its a great application. I think its java based so should be easily portable and the code is out there. Plus its transcending pretty much just works.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Plus its transcending pretty much just works.
Think you meant transcoding, but it could transcend the transcoding I guess. :D

twodave

Cadet
Yeah, ushare is not good enough for me (or probably most users). I've been doing some more experimenting, and the lack of .mkv support is really killing it for me.

GeoffLee

Dabbler
I would love to get serviio support! I'm currently trying to get it running on 8.0.1 RC but my noob unix skills are keeping me back haha. Hopefully I'll get it up and running soon!

califrag

Dabbler
I would love to see Plex support too, I actually got serviio running and it's working well so far. I used the instructions here in the first post :

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?1399-HOWTO-Install-Serviio-in-Freenas-8.0.1Beta4

I didn't mess with the remounting var on another device bit (not sure if this is gonna break something or if i need to go back and do it, might just do a link?) or the csup install.

I used a /mnt/hdd/Packages folder on a separate mounted hdd which I've installed sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato, headphones, phpmyadmin and serviio.

The biggest problem that I've run into when following the tutorials is LINE BREAKS.

Just be sure that when you copy and paste anything you double check all the line breaks and make sure the commands and everything matches and makes sense.

I'm on 8.0.1 RC also.

G

gcooper

I'm going to be adding minidlna to the build soon unless someone else has any other compelling reason for me not to. The reason is that it's made with NAS in mind, it's easy to configure, etc. Eventually I want to remove a lot of the dependencies that make the image large (i.e. reportd, etc), and in order to do that I need to kill the X11 crud -- which unfortunately some of these applications might bring in...

cubix

Hi gcooper,

I'm very supportive of not natively including media servers with huge dependency lists. I have not had any first hand experience with minidlna but from what I have read it looks to be fulfilling most requirements.

There is however a number of home NAS users who want all the bells and whistles that come with dependent rich applications and can install these themselves. A number of users have already had success installing serviio and seem to be quite happy installing additional dependencies where required.

I personally would like a feature rich media server, but that's not what FreeNAS is all about.

G

gcooper

Hi gcooper,

I'm very supportive of not natively including media servers with huge dependency lists. I have not had any first hand experience with minidlna but from what I have read it looks to be fulfilling most requirements.

There is however a number of home NAS users who want all the bells and whistles that come with dependent rich applications and can install these themselves. A number of users have already had success installing serviio and seem to be quite happy installing additional dependencies where required.

I personally would like a feature rich media server, but that's not what FreeNAS is all about.

- serviio pulls in Java, which is a pain in the rear as it's not fully supported with BSD due to the licensing (that and there are security issues with the diablo versions distributed by the FreeBSD project), and we could get into legal hot water for distributing something with Java support, so serviio is out of the picture :(..
- mediatomb pulls in mysql support, which is silly since we already have sqlite in the base system.
- plex isn't in ports, and is binary only (even on Linux) so that's kind of a non-starter (especially if the group dies off, which has happened on a number of occasions with other projects). Linux compat support isn't hard, but it's more weight that one needs to carry around in a NAS server.

So it makes the choice crystal clear: minidlna or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.