Upgrading ZFS Pool from 2 Raid1 to 1 RaidZ1 with 4 different disks, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstang1988

Contributor
Ok, I'm upgrading the size of my storage array and moving to raidz1. I was previously using 2 2TB disks in Raid1 and 2 1TB disks in Raid1 for 3TBish of storage. Now I'm going with 4 3TB disks in Raidz1. Yes, I realize I should get a 5th disk from a performance perspective.

Now what I need to do:
I have 6 SATA ports on my machine and theoretically need to attach 8 disks. I have a second machine with 4 sata ports that I could use temporarily for a migration and then move the disks back to the original location. This would be slow going over the network and the other box is light on resources with only 4GB of RAM. Is there another option, can I run the array in degraded mode or something because it's two RAID1 arrays by removing 2 disks?

Also, what should I do so I don't have to recreate shares etc when I replace the ZFS disk subsystem with the new subsystem? I found this (http://www.hlynes.com/2007/07/09/moving-zfs-filesystems-between-pools/) for pools that are on the same system but do I have to run rsync of it's on two different machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.