upgrading without a CD or the Gui

Status
Not open for further replies.

florisvb

Cadet
Hi all,

I recently got the "welcome to nginx" bug, and based on some googling I need to upgrade to the 8.3.1-RELEASE-p1 distribution. The problem is, I don't have a GUI thanks to the "welcome to nginx" bug, and I also do not have a CD ROM drive on that machine, or any lying around anywhere that I could plug in.

Is it possible to simple install the new OS on a new USB stick, and plug it in, and have everything work somehow? Do I need to save some config file (which I hope I can access over SSH without root access, since that's how things are setup) to make that work properly? This would seem like the easiest approach to me.. but I am pretty new to this kind of thing.

Thanks for your help!

- Floris

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Pull the USB stick from the server and upgrade it on another machine with a CD-ROM.

florisvb

Cadet
Thanks cyberjock - I thought that would work fine, but wasn't sure if I'd mess something up.

pirateghost - while SSH works, I do not have root access over SSH (sorry, typo in original post, edited now), so unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible) I can't run the workarounds..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. upgrading(as well as booting from) the USB on any machine is fine. If the FreeNAS machine hardware is destroyed just pull out your hard drives and USB stick and stick them in another machine.. Poof, you have a new FreeNAS machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.