Upgrading to FreeNAS 0.8 from 0.7.2 full

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemouse

Cadet
My hard disks are laid out as follows: 2TB ad4 and 2TB ad6 connected via RAID 1 to MIRROR1 -
the OS(full install of FreeNAS 0.7.2) is partition 1(5gb)
data is partition 2(1.8tb)
swap is partition 3(2gb)

Before I waste a disk, find a monitor and keyboard, and cause myself a headache- I wasn't able to decipher this from the documentation -, is there a way to simply install FreeNAS 0.8 to ad4s1/MIRROR1s1 instead of the installer repartitioning and formatting /dev/ad4(as the documentation seems to show)

I'm not really concerned about losing any configuration, etc that would be on the OS drive, just keeping the data partition intact

freeflow

Dabbler
No. FreeNAS 8 uses a single disk for the OS. There is no option to partition the disk for OS+data in the same way as FreeNAS 7. The only way you will be able to upgrade to FreeNAS 8 is to backup your data install FreeNAS 8 on a new disk, USB stick or CF/IDEor SATA, create an new raid array etc etc.

esamett

Patron
I bought a transend 1gb ide flash drive for around $20+ from tiger direct. It plugs into the IDE cable connector and may serve as a boot drive. due to change of hardware I am using a usb flash drive now.

icemouse

Cadet
I was afraid of that. I guess if I want to upgrade then I either need to move to a USB stick or would it be possible to do the following:
Install FreeNAS to /dev/ad4
Since it's RAID1, mount /dev/ad6 and copy all the data from that to my new install
Re-sync the RAID and use MIRROR1 again

Again, I'm not sure if you can mount /dev/ad{4,6} in such a way... Or if this is even worth pursuing. I just really don't like the perpetual USB stick

icemouse

Cadet
bump - Before I hunt down a monitor and keyboard, can I mount the individual disks of my RAID1 and have them act independently of each other, or will I be risking my data?

I

ixdwhite

You can split the mirror, but you will need to actually split and completely deconfigure the mirror function so that the system doesn't think one disk broke and resyncs it when the importer tries to pull it in.

You still won't be able to use the system disk for data as FreeNAS 8, or at least won't be able to upgrade without doing the same surgery over again.

I STRONGLY recommend just buying a USB key and installing to that and importing your mirror instead of trying to do things behind FreeNAS's back. This just ends up bad in the end. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.