Upgrading my FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

erodios

Cadet
So I have setup FreeNAS on my old PC, even upgraded it to FreeNAS 11. However, it is quite evident that my machine is struggling to keep up, so and upgrade is necessary. I have a simple 3x 2 TB setup in Raid-z1 configuration. Which i intend to upgrade in the future, however it suffices for my storage needs for now. After looking around in the forums i ended up with this configuration:
Supermicro X11SSM-F
Intel Pentium G4560
16GB Crucial CT16G4WFD8213 DDR4-2133 ECC
I use my FreeNAS for simple file storage & sharing (max 1 computer accessing), to stream Plex on my PS4 (again max 1 device), and torrent downloading with transmission. What do you think about this build? Will it suffice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You might want to consider adding a couple more drives and make it RAIDz2. That's good for resilience if you have any drive failure. It can only be charged when the vdevs is created.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Looks good as long as you are willing to accept the risk of a RAIDZ1 pool.

erodios

Cadet
Well I plan to change my setup to something like 5 x 4 TB but in a few months. I totally agree on the risks of raid-z1 so everything is backed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erodios

Cadet
So I was further looking around on the forum for the motherboard & cpu combo and found this thread:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...on-first-boot-with-supermicro-x11ssm-f.52594/

There seems to be some CPU-motherboard compatibility issue on the older BIOS in which I may need to pay around 20 USD to get some license in order to be able to upgrade it via IPMI. Maybe it is wiser to spend those money on some better CPU that is already supported on the older BIOS? Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.