upgrading iocage jails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopr

Explorer
Hello,
before FN11 upgrading jails with major version jumps of the underlying freeBSD was a major hassle and often meant to set up the jails new.
1. With the switch from warden to iocage, will this still be an issue?
2. Is iocage already properly implemented in the current FN11-stable or is this scheduled for 11.1 or 11.2?

I am really looking forward to do the jump from 9.10 to 11 :3

amiskell

Patron
Hello,
before FN11 upgrading jails with major version jumps of the underlying freeBSD was a major hassle and often meant to set up the jails new.
1. With the switch from warden to iocage, will this still be an issue?
2. Is iocage already properly implemented in the current FN11-stable or is this scheduled for 11.1 or 11.2?

I am really looking forward to do the jump from 9.10 to 11 :3

iocage is in FN11-stable, but it's CLI-only at the moment. No UI support yet and no conversion from warden based jails (UI still creates warden-based jails).

11.1 is supposed to bring full iocage support and completely upgrade/replace warden based jails in the UI. 11.1 is also supposed to have a conversion process to migrate any existing warden jails to iocage jails.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You can't upgrade jails major version regardless of what jail manager you are using. Iocage is already in 11 but the GUI manager is still Warden. That's slated to be updated to Iocage in 11.1.

lopr

Explorer
You can't upgrade jails major version regardless of what jail manager you are using. Iocage is already in 11 but the GUI manager is still Warden. That's slated to be updated to Iocage in 11.1.

but this guy says it's easy with iocage?

pschatz100

Guru
After doing a fresh install of 11.0, I installed a couple of iocage jails. I can't comment on iocage jails when upgrading from an older version of FreeNAS since that is not what I did.

However, with a fresh install of the initial release of FreeNAS 11.0, my iocage jails worked great. Unfortunately, when I subsequently updated to 11.0u2, the networking in my jails broke (I skipped the 11.0u1 update.) Everything else about the jails appeared to be OK. When I reported a bug, the developer said my problem should be fixed with the next version of iocage, which is expected to be released with FreeNAS 11.1.

I really like iocage, and will definitely give it another try after the update. However, for now, I would stick with the warden jail unless there is some compelling reason not to.

Phil2112

Dabbler
After doing a fresh install of 11.0, I installed a couple of iocage jails. I can't comment on iocage jails when upgrading from an older version of FreeNAS since that is not what I did.

However, with a fresh install of the initial release of FreeNAS 11.0, my iocage jails worked great. Unfortunately, when I subsequently updated to 11.0u2, the networking in my jails broke (I skipped the 11.0u1 update.) Everything else about the jails appeared to be OK. When I reported a bug, the developer said my problem should be fixed with the next version of iocage, which is expected to be released with FreeNAS 11.1.

I really like iocage, and will definitely give it another try after the update. However, for now, I would stick with the warden jail unless there is some compelling reason not to.

Thanks for this.

Being fairly new to the command line, I wanted to see if I could get Emby to work in an iocage jail. It took me two tries (didn't know how to add datasets at first), but all seems to be working well now. Hopefully I won't lose networking with the next two updates prior to 11.1. I still have a regular warden jail running Emby as well, so I wouldn't lose anything anyway.

I hope iocage is more stable than the warden jails lately. There seem to be a lot of threads about issues with Plex and a few others............

ETA: Well, I take it back. While I can access the Emby server -- http://jail ip address:8096 from different computers -- I cannot access the server on any of my devices (or none of them seem to see it). I don't know what kind of networking issues you ran into, but perhaps this is similar. Guess I'll have to wait a while also. I agree that it looks promising.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
Let me emphasize that I like iocage, but I am going to wait for another iocage version update. As it so happens, the developer has targeted the next iocage update to coincide with FreeNAS 11.1.

I have Plexpass running in a Warden jail, and have not had any issues. At this point, I'm just going to wait for a new iocage.

Phil2112

Dabbler
Fully understand. Turns out I just had to manually enter the ip address for the iocage jail and all is good with Emby on my devices as well.

pschatz100

Guru
Glad you got it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.