Upgrading FreeNAS USB and Mirror USB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johev

Contributor
I am purchasing all the hardware for my new FreeNAS box and I will be using mirror SDCZ43-032G-G46 Ultra Fit 32GB that will hold the installation of FreeNAS.

The question I have is: Do I need a 3rd USB to upgrade FreeNAS when new version will come out or can I use the second plugged USB to upgrade FreeNAS and then mirror it? I am not sure how to proceed if this configuration is in the system.

Many thanks for any assistance as I would like to know how many identical USB keys should I order.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
You can install it on one USB and mirror it after (see the mirroring boot device section in the manual) so you effectively need only 2 USB sticks, but it's recommended to have a spare stick to do the install and for "just in case". You don't need a big one for the install, 1 GB is plenty enough, so you've probably already one laying around ;)

Johev

Contributor
@Bidule0hm
Thank you very much for a clear reply to my question. I have plenty of USBs around, however as this is a new build I prefer to trust a known brand, that's why I'm buying these new ones. Do you think 32GB is enough given the new snapshot possibilities in 9.3?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
For the boot device(s) yes, it's a good idea to buy a trusted good brand, but for the installer device (that you use once to install to the boot device(s), and if you need to reinstall after for whatever reason) you can take a USB stick laying around without a problem ;)

You can also mount the ISO via IPMI if your MB has it and in this case you don't need a third USB stick.

Yes, 8 GB is the recommended minimum, 16 GB is the comfortable minimum and 32 GB is plenty :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've got 16GB on my FreeNAS Mini, and I've got like 35 boot environments right now. So I consider 16GB to be almost overkill. ;)

Johev

Contributor
I've got 16GB on my FreeNAS Mini, and I've got like 35 boot environments right now. So I consider 16GB to be almost overkill. ;)

Thank you both for your answers. Well at the current price of the 32GB USBs, I prefer to just buy the 32GB and call it a day :).

The build is coming along nicely, the 3x4TB Seagate Surveillance HDDs already arrived, now I just need the server (Dell T20 Xeon E3-1225v3 with the added ECC RAM 4+8=12GB) and the USBs and I can start to play with it. ;)

Later I'll see about the PSU as so many of you recommend it.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, 32GB is nice if the price is right because I have no doubt FreeNAS 10 will increase disk usage a bit, so 32GB might not be so bad. Besides, if the price isn't terrible, more space is always better, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.