Upgrading drives, resilver times look normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johhhn

Explorer
got 6x3TB WD Reds and replacing them with 6x5TB Toshibas.

I don't have any extra SATA ports and so I took a drive offline and then replaced it. The GUI crashed and I couldn't replace the drive that way and didn't want to take the chance through terminal so I rebooted. Running FreeNAS-9.2.1.2

Two questions: Does this resivler estimate time look normal? And should I shutdown my jails while I replace all the drives? (I have 8GB RAM and have another 8GB stick to put in but figured i'd wait till I finish this first disk or wait till after they're all done)

scan: resilver in progress since Fri Jul 3 15:03:08 2015

59.7G scanned out of 10.7T at 76.5M/s, 40h39m to go

9.94G resilvered, 0.54% done

Last edited:

Johhhn

Explorer
Interesting, looks like it gets faster as it gets going?

resilver in progress since Fri Jul 3 15:03:08 2015

575G scanned out of 10.7T at 197M/s, 15h2m to go

95.7G resilvered, 5.23% done

joeschmuck

Old Man
This is the second question today that I've seen asking about resilver times. Same answer... it depends on a few factors, how much data is stored on the drives and your hardware. If you have a lot of data, it will take a long time. Ensure that you follow the user manual to replace your drives.

The only way I know to make it go faster is to transfer some of your data off your storage. How you do that is up to you but you can do it while you resilver. If it were me I would use one of my 4TB hard drives I have laying around and connect it to my main computer and then start transferring data from the FreeNAS to this drive. And this may be worth it after you figure out how long it takes for this first drive. To take 3 days vs. 6 days might be worth it. I don't know what resources you have available. Then you could transfer the data back. There is always some risk no matter how you slice it.

Last edited:

Johhhn

Explorer
Great idea! I will do that once it's done with the first drive! thanks, Joe :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
It will still take time to transfer data off but it will reduce the overall time. Now if it turns out your resilvering comes down to say 10 hours, you could swap out a drive in the morning and then one in the evening, two drives a day. That is not unreasonable. No matter how you slice it, it will not be reduced to 1 day unless you can reduce the data on the storage pool. I wish it could be faster myself, selfish reasons of course.

You know, now that I think about it some more, I need to take back my suggestion... If you start transferring data off the pool, it will slow down the resilvering process. Sorry, I gave you bad information on how to make it faster. So the only way would be to have transferred some of that data off before you got the drives in your hands in order to reduce the resilvering process.

Again, sorry for that misinformation.

Johhhn

Explorer
No worries, i wasn't going to transfer data off while it was resilvering anyway. The temp for the Toshiba is already at 43C and I don't want it to go any higher, plus reasons as you outlined it won't be any faster. But, after it's done (12 hr to go), I'll back up 4TB to a backup I have. @ 100M/sec it should take a little over an hour to do and then start resilvering again :)

SirMaster

Patron
You can generally increase the performance of resilvering in my experience by playing with the kernel parameters of ZFS.

http://broken.net/uncategorized/zfs-performance-tuning-for-scrubs-and-resilvers/

Those commands are for Illumos-based distros so they will be slightly different for BSD. But they are the same kernel parameters on all the OpenZFS implementations.

The tradeoff will be for how the pool performs for other activity during the resilver. If you tune these parameters then the pool will be slower for other IO while the resilver is happening, but you can change the parameters while it's running all you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.