Upgrading disks in a RAIDZ2 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

geronimo1958

Contributor
I currently have the following disks:

3 WD Green 1.5TB
3 WD Red 2TB (mismatched the sizes because the 1.5TB disk were not readily available)

all six are in a RAIDZ2 which basically turns the 2TB disks into 1.5TB disks.

Now running low on space.

Can I replace the 1.5TB disks with new 2TB disks (one by one) and then reclaim the unused space?

I read thru the forum and it sounds like the answer is no. But a while back I thought I read a post indicating it was possible but I cannot find that topic now.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can I replace the 1.5TB disks with new 2TB disks (one by one) and then reclaim the unused space?
Yes, absolutely. Just follow the manual's instructions for replacing failed disks (your disks haven't failed, but it's the same process).

geronimo1958

Contributor
Yes, absolutely. Just follow the manual's instructions for replacing failed disks (your disks haven't failed, but it's the same process).

What about reclaiming the unused space after?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Actually, the documentation now covers the procedure for exactly the OP's question, i.e. replacing non-failed disks one by one using a spare drive port, without losing redundancy during re-silver. Which doesn't help much if you don't have a spare drive port ;)

EDIT: 8.1.11 Replacing Drives to Grow a ZFS Pool

geronimo1958

Contributor
I was just reading it in the documentation . I searched thru the online manual for "autoexpand".

Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.