Upgraded to 9.1.0. Same Disks, Same ZPool Config... 5% Smaller Volumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilsgenius

Cadet
I just upgraded a storage box that was running FreeNAS 8.2.0 to 9.1.0.

It was running 15x 3TB Drives (0S03230 Hitachi drives with 512kb sector sizes) configured in RAID Z2 with the total usable space on the array being 34.6 TB.

After the upgrade I added 15 more 3TB drives (WD30EZRX with 4k sectors and wdidle3 manually set to disabled) and created another 15x 3TB RAID Z2. This new array is reporting only 32.9 TB of total usable space, as compared to the original array.

I read several posts that said there might be differences when using older disks with 512kb sectors vs new disks with 4k sectors, therefore I copied the data from the old 34.6TB array to the new 32.9 TB array and then deleted the old array. After recreating it under 9.1.0, this new array made up of the exact same old disks with 512kb sectors came up as 32.9 TB as well.

In both cases this is despite the fact that the volume creation wizard showed an estimated capacity of 35+TB after subtracting for the parity disks during the creation process, and I got the same results when I tried creating encrypted volumes as well.

I just want to know if there is a known disk space usage difference between ZFS version 15 and version 28 that no one is talking about, or is this a configuration problem with the FreeNAS OS?

A 5% storage capacity penalty just seems like a pretty steep price to pay for upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.