Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadi

Explorer
Hey everyone,

I'm currently running this version and would like to upgrade

FreeNAS-9.2.1-RELEASE-x64 (bd35c86)

From my understanding, it has to be a fresh install since you can't upgrade off the USB, is that correct?

SPECS:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
8GB RAM (I'm throwing in an additional 4GB)

My drive setup, I believe is RAID 5.

Can someone please, in laymen terms explain the best scenarios and re-installation process on such specs above? I use the NAS solely for hosting backups done nightly at the data center. Nothing else.

For sake of newness, I'm buying a new 8GB USB card to replace the one that's there. It's a few years old. Worth a few bucks investment. This one is tiny and 8GB.

I saw the instructions here but would like your advice, feedback for my specs and drives.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• nas.PNG
    nas.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 248

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
it has to be a fresh install since you can't upgrade off the USB, is that correct?
No, but you should at least upgrade to 9.2.1.9 before you go to 9.3.
would like your advice, feedback for my specs and drives.
Then you will have to provide full details of same.

gpsguy

You asked for "feedback for my specs and drives", yet you told us nothing about your drives.

At a minimum, it would be nice to know what motherboard you have? Are you using any HBA's / RAID controllers? How many drives do you have, what size are they? Are they all in one pool?

Since you don't seem to know exactly how your drives are configured, please go to the shell and type "zpool status" without the quotes. Post the results using code tags or include a screen shot. Formatting is needed for clarity.

I see you have a jail, what are you running there? Depending on your drive sizes you may need more than 12GB of RAM.

Provide what's full details that I haven't provided already?

Chadi

Explorer
Code:
[root@nas] ~# zpool status
  pool: Data
state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using a legacy on-disk format.  The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on software that does not support feature
        flags.
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 2h1m with 0 errors on Sun Nov  8 02:01:26 2015
config:

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Data                                          ONLINE       0     0     0
          gptid/213297e7-4886-11e2-a5b8-002590a4e942  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I'm not running anything specific in the jail, not sure why and how it's there to be honest.

Code:
[root@nas] ~# df -h
Filesystem                                                Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs2a                                       926M    748M    104M    88%    /
devfs                                                     1.0k    1.0k      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/md0                                                  4.6M    3.3M    903k    79%    /etc
/dev/md1                                                  823k    4.0k    754k     1%    /mnt
/dev/md2                                                  149M     38M     99M    28%    /var
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4                                         19M    2.9M     15M    16%    /data
Data                                                      3.6T    1.2T    2.3T    35%    /mnt/Data
Data/.samba4                                              2.3T    550k    2.3T     0%    /mnt/Data/.samba4
Data/jails                                                2.3T     31k    2.3T     0%    /mnt/Data/jails
Data/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail-9.2-RELEASE-x64    2.3T    1.1G    2.3T     0%    /mnt/mnt/Data/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail-9.2-RELEASE-x64

Code:
[root@nas] /var/log# grep RAID dmesg.today
GEOM_RAID5: Module loaded, version 1.1.20130907.44 (rev 5c6d2a159411)

There's a few logs in /var/log with the name 3ware_raid. I'm also 99% sure it's currently set up as RAID 5.

Further info: the box is a Core i3 CPU w/ 8GB RAM currently. It does run just fine for past 5 years with no issues at all. I just figured it was time for a little refresh on the software and drop a bit more RAM.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, you have a jails dataset, but it doesn't seem that you have any jails set up right now. Maybe you did at some point in the past.

An i3 is likely adequate, and 12 GB will be fine for just running as a file server. You're aware that you don't have any redundancy at this point, right? You've got one drive in your pool, and when that fails, your data is gone.

...ooh, just saw the bit about 3ware_raid. Yeah, you're going to need to actually answer the questions @gpsguy posed: how many drives, what size, how are they connected, what motherboard, etc. We can't give you feedback about things you haven't told us anything about.

Chadi

Explorer
Code:
System Information
        Manufacturer: Supermicro
        Product Name: X9SCL/X9SCM
        Version: 0123456789

Code:
[root@nas] ~# mount
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs2a on / (ufs, local, read-only)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/md0 on /etc (ufs, local)
/dev/md1 on /mnt (ufs, local)
/dev/md2 on /var (ufs, local)
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4 on /data (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
Data on /mnt/Data (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Data/.samba4 on /mnt/Data/.samba4 (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Data/jails on /mnt/Data/jails (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Data/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail-9.2-RELEASE-x64 on /mnt/mnt/Data/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail-9.2-RELEASE-x64 (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)

Code:
[root@nas] ~# dmesg | grep -i RAID
GEOM_RAID5: Module loaded, version 1.1.20130907.44 (rev 5c6d2a159411)

Code:
[root@nas] ~# tw_cli info

Ctl   Model        (V)Ports  Drives   Units   NotOpt  RRate   VRate  BBU
------------------------------------------------------------------------
c0    9750-4i      4         4        1       0       1       1      -       

[root@nas] ~# tw_cli info c0

Unit  UnitType  Status         %RCmpl  %V/I/M  Stripe  Size(GB)  Cache  AVrfy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
u0    RAID-10   OK             -       -       256K    3725.27   RiW    ON    

VPort Status         Unit Size      Type  Phy Encl-Slot    Model
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p0    OK             u0   1.82 TB   SATA  0   -            WDC WD2000FYYZ-01UL
p1    OK             u0   1.82 TB   SATA  1   -            WDC WD2000FYYZ-01UL
p2    OK             u0   1.82 TB   SATA  2   -            WDC WD2000FYYZ-01UL
p3    OK             u0   1.82 TB   SATA  3   -            WDC WD2000FYYZ-01UL 

danb35

Hall of Famer
OK, well, to your immediate question, you should be able to upgrade in place to 9.2.1.9, save the config file from there, install the latest 9.3, upload the config file, and be (moderately) good to go. However...

Hardware RAID controllers and ZFS are a bad combination. There are a number of reasons, but the most basic are that (1) they almost always prevent meaningful drive monitoring, and (2) they completely prevent ZFS from repairing corrupt data. Hardware RAID is therefore strongly discouraged.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
would like your advice, feedback for my specs and drives.
Best advice I can give, echoing @danb35, is to backup your data, get rid of the RAID controller, and make a new pool using ZFS as intended. Based on your current setup, I'm guessing you would benefit from studying a lot of the introductory information available in these forums. This may seem harsh, but you're much more likely to have long-term success with FreeNAS if you understand the basics.

Chadi

Explorer
Ok, for now I want to upgrade what I have to 9.2.19 but it's giving off an error.

Nov 20 14:07:05 nas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: The firmware does not meet the pre-install criteria: mktemp: mkstemp failed on /mnt/Data/jails/owncloud_1/var/tmp/install_worker.gui_error_log.rDZEqLfU: No such file or directory mktemp: mkstemp failed on /mnt/Data/jails/owncloud_1/var/tmp/install_worker.verboselog.Cc1kj5wH: No such file or directory mktemp: mkstemp failed on /mnt/Data/jails/owncloud_1/var/tmp/install_worker.usage_log.Vtsl02er: No such file or directory bin/install_worker.sh: cannot create : No such file or directory usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dIPRrvW] file ... unlink file ]

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
You might have to step through some of the intermediate releases.

Or, since you "use the NAS solely for hosting backups done nightly", it might be quicker and easier to follow your original plan and just do a clean install of whatever version you want to use.

Chadi

Explorer
Yea I'll do a fresh install but I just realized something. If I'm going to install off a usb boot and to another usb card, how am I going to be able to use the keyboard on the crash cart to type info during the install when the server has only 2 usb ports?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Use a USB hub. Or use IMPI, and you won't need to use USB ports for the install media or the keyboard (and you won't need a monitor either).

gpsguy

Or do the install at home/elsewhere on another machine and take the flash drive to the data center.

Status
Not open for further replies.