Upgrade without access to GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawndewet

Dabbler
Following from this thread, in which everything is working fine, except my FreeNAS GUI has become unavailable, I'm told to upgrade by installing the new version (9.2.1.8) to a new USB stick.

Surely I can't just literally replace the USB stick though and expect all to work as before? How would I get all my settings across from the old installation? Is there a way I can use the Command Line to do this?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, if you've downloaded your config file, it's easy: do a clean install to the new USB stick, boot from that stick, log into the web GUI, and upload your saved config file. Failing that, track down cyberjock's script to back up your config database, put it in a shared location, copy to your desktop computer, and proceed as above. Make sure, if your pool is encrypted, that you've saved your keys.

shawndewet

Dabbler
Oh boy it sucks to be me...
I prepared a new USB thumb drive with v9.2.1.8.
Used SSH session to shut down.
Replaced thumb drive and booted up the server.
Waited a few minutes and tried the Web GUI. It worked, prompting me for a password for the root user, with I provided.
I then did the Auto-Import of my existing ZPool volume, which went off without a hitch.
I them went the settings options to restore the config db (which I had backed up and had a local copy of on my local machine).
It uploaded and presented me with the message that the system is rebooting.
Waited a few minutes...and I'm exactly back where I was!
Everything is working fine (file shares across the network are exactly as they were, jails (plex, couchpotato) all there and their sites are working), except the FreeNAS Web GUI! It's just not available.
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
please help. Where do I start diagnosing this problem?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd guess that your config database is corrupted. If you've been keeping regular backups (again, cyberjock has some scripts that do this; they're in the HOWTO section of the forum), you can roll back to a previous backup. If not, I'm not sure how to go about tracking down (much less fixing) the issue in the config file. I understand it's an sqlite database, if that helps.

shawndewet

Dabbler
I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot! I'm an idiot!
Some time ago, while I was playing with my router's port forwarding settings, I changed my FreeNAS GUI to be linked to a non-standard port.....and now, weeks later, here's me trying to access the FreeNAS GUI on the standard port....
I just realised this when out of desperation I linked the config.db in SQL Management Studio and browsed through the table contents and came across this GUI Port setting!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
Did I mention I'm an idiot?

Status
Not open for further replies.