Upgrade to 9.3 User import

Status
Not open for further replies.

James S

Explorer
I have just upgraded from 9.2 to 9.3 (and then updated to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201605170422).
As an enthusiastic but naïve user I had expected everything to migrate i.e., volume, users and settings (e.g., network) in the upgrade. After upgrade what I appear to have is a fresh install. I have imported the volume but now am not sure how to progress.
My questions (the first is rather burning):

1. Is there a way to import the user 'profile'? I did a backup of the settings from my 9.2.x.x install. If I create new users I do not know how to relate them to the profile number/ user number in my data volume (the 1001, 1002, 1003 etc.). Sorry this is not written very technically. How can I ensure the users on this new install are the same as on the old (5 users).

2. Support for 9.3 & 9.1. It appears that support for 9.3 is stopping in terms of updates? So would is the suggestion to migrate to 9.1? (I am confused by FreeNAS OS numbering: 9.3 seems to lead to 9.1. This seems to defy junior school math!) If so is there a support commitment to this version (ala Ubuntu LTS)?

3. On boot I have the following error - "ipmi0 attach returned 6" Is this something I need to be concerned with?

Thanks!

For reference:
Board - Asus KCMA-D8
CPU - Opteron 4122
Mem - 16GB ECC
Disks - 4 x WD 2TB 1 x WD 500MB
OS - As above

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you upgraded all of your users and settings will survive. If you did a fresh install then you can just upload your config under the system settings. After 9.3 there is 9.10(10>3), 9.10 is the current version.

James S

Explorer
If you upgraded all of your users and settings will survive. If you did a fresh install then you can just upload your config under the system settings. After 9.3 there is 9.10(10>3), 9.10 is the current version.

Thanks for the quick reply. That solved what I thought it would be a time consuming job to fix up.
A couple of observations.

First, I followed the guide to make the firmware upgrade from 9.2 - so it was not an fresh install (I did, however, overlook the step of shutting the services off). So I don't quite no why it didn't migrate.

Second, are there any thoughts on the impi0? The error six seems to be a timing error (?) or some sort.

Third, the naming is really confusing! There is a by-the-by acknowledgement elsewhere on these boards that the 9.1 name is "unfortunate". Come on we know 10 > 3 - but it is after a decimal point! (so it isn't '10') :) This is some friendly critique. Perhaps some explanation can be added to the main download page since I'm sure others are as confused as I was.

joeschmuck

Old Man
hird, the naming is really confusing! There is a by-the-by acknowledgement elsewhere on these boards that the 9.1 name is "unfortunate". Come on we know 10 > 3 - but it is after a decimal point! (so it isn't '10') :) This is some friendly critique. Perhaps some explanation can be added to the main download page since I'm sure others are as confused as I was.
That was done by iXsystems, not the participants of the forums and you are not the only one who didn't like the naming convention.
First, I followed the guide to make the firmware upgrade from 9.2 - so it was not an fresh install (I did, however, overlook the step of shutting the services off). So I don't quite no why it didn't migrate.
Can't answer this one because we were not there to participate in the upgrade. If you really wanted to verify that you did things correctly I guess you could roll your system back to the 9.2 version you were running, provided you did not upgrade your pool, and they try it again but I'd suggest that is pointless and even if you found a problem, odds are it wouldn't be fixed unless it affected FreeNAS 10.
Second, are there any thoughts on the impi0? The error six seems to be a timing error (?) or some sort.
I think you need to be a little clearer on your question here. Also if you are having a specific error message, have you check the bug reports to see if it's already listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.