Upgrade through Web UI?

siconic

Explorer
So, I did search for this question, and the number one answer the last person got was "Read the user guide". So, first and foremost, before someone says "read the user guide" I did and here is the link I used: Upgrading From the Web Interface. No where in there does it mention EXACTLY how to perform an upgrade through the web UI. Here is what it does say:

To perform an upgrade using this method, go to System ‣ Update.

The connection is lost temporarily when the update is complete. It returns after the FreeNAS® system reboots into the new version of the operating system. The FreeNAS® system normally receives the same IP address from the DHCP server. Refresh the browser after a moment to see if the system is accessible.

When I go to System -> Update, I get no updates available, and I have 11.1-U6.3 which is currently on boot.

I normally use a USB thumb dive to do the updates, but I am feeling particularly lazy and would prefer some way to updgrade through the UI. So my question is, do I need to change the train to Freenas-11.2-STABLE, and then apply the updates??? I have never done that before, but based on the documentation stating go to system -> update, I am making an intuitive leap, that I am trying to verify. In the past I have heard you cannot change the train without causing damage, so that is my main concern.

I have already backed up my configs, and I usually do a fresh install for Major release numbers, for example from Freenas 9.10 to Freenas 11.

Andy C

Explorer
Do I need to change the train to Freenas-11.2-STABLE, and then apply the updates?

This is exactly what I did yesterday (with backups in place) and it worked perfectly. All my config was migrated and I simply had to re-create my single jail (Plex/Tautulli). Kudos to the development team.

KrisBee

Wizard

garm

Wizard
Screenshot (1).png

siconic

Explorer
Thank you all for the replies. Now I am nervous to do it through the UI, because of this: Some Upgrades to 11.2 Nuke User Data

Just cant win. I have all my data backed up offsite, but I think thats a risk I am not willing to take since it is about 11TB worth, and that would take days to recover.

But thank you all for the knowledge. I would have done this in the past had I known how simple it was. Maybe it saved me this time.

KrisBee

Wizard
@siconic Can't blame you for being cautious. No one seems to have gotten to the bottom of the "11.2 upgrade lost my data" cases, and there seems to be enough other issues flagged to warrant waiting for the dust to settle.

siconic

Explorer
@KrisBee Is that also for the CD/USB Upgrade as well, or just through the UI?

siconic

Explorer
As a side note, I run my R610 off the internal SD Card add-on. Normally I remove and replace it with an empty one, burn the iso to a thumb drive, disconnect all disks except the one I want to use as boot, do an install using that, and then once everything works, I reconnect all my disks, and then import my configs. I get too nervous that I am going to select the wrong disk, so my process is very time consuming and I hate spending that much time on it, but has never failed me so far.

KrisBee

Wizard
@KrisBee Is that also for the CD/USB Upgrade as well, or just through the UI?

So far I've only repeatedly tested upgrading FreeNAS VMs via the UI, so can't answer that. I'm not in a rush to upgrade working FN11.1U6 installs on real machines. I'll review again at FN11.2U1/2 stage.

Nothing wrong with your own tried & tested routine.