Upgrade Plan Help

Hey everyone,

Hopefully you can help me out here. Below are the current specs of the server we're using:

SuperMicro Super Server 6048R-E1CR36H 36 Bays
Broadcom 3108 AOC; HW RAID 0,1,5,6,10,50,60
82GB of Ram
2 Intel Xeon e5-2603 (old but they get the job done)
36 6 TB WD Red Server Drives (setup in RAID 6)

This servers main purpose is for us to backup our clients data. The person who worked here before me setup this server with FreeNAS 9.10.3 Stable, but since taking over, I noticed this thing is in a dire need of an upgrade and reconfiguration. The ZFS pool is setup using the onboard hardware RAID card which is not setup in JBOD mode. Currently, I have left the server as is, but I have approval from my boss to transfer off all the data, completely wipe the server, upgrade it, and reconfigure the server properly.

My plan is to upgrade the server to the latest version of TrueNAS, up the RAM to 128GB, swap out the Broadcom 3108 AOC since you cannot set it in IT mode and I've heard the JBOD mode isn't that great for TrueNAS/ZFS. Our budget is to stay under $2000 for RAM, new card, and getting some much needed drives incase one fails. We also have sata SSDs at our disposal to setup as a cache if need be. We can sometimes have up to 20 computers either backing up client data or transferring data back onto a clients computer.

The part I need help with is what HBA/LSi Card should I install to replace the Broadcom 3108 AOC. Do you recommend I use the hardware I currently have?

• You should replace the Broadcom 3108 a Broadcom 9300-8i
  • You can stay with the RAM you have
  • I think that your hardware is not too old because you have a X10 motherboard
Awesome! Thank you!

I was trying to find a card that had the SFF connector on them, but was having a hard time. Seems like the Broadcom 9300-8i will work perfectly.

The hardware is about 10 years old at this point, but for our use case, it's more than enough. It will probably need an upgrade if the business picks up back to where it was 3 years ago, but I highly doubt that.