LSI question

Stefan042

Cadet
Hi, I have an old Quanta d51b-2u server with a QCT LSI 3108 card on it.

The OS see's it:
root@truenas[/]# pciconf -lv | less
mrsas0@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x010400 card=0x89c8152d chip=0x005d1000 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Broadcom / LSI'
device = 'MegaRAID SAS-3 3108 [Invader]'
class = mass storage
subclass = RAID

but the driver is not loading apparently, so I can't check the RAID status of the two virtual drives (OS drive is 2x 400GB mirrored, Pool1 is 6x 4TB) via the mrsas (which does not seem to be on the disk).

The file boot/loader.conf has this:
# Prefer newer mrsas(4) to mfi(4) for controllers supported by both.
hw.mfi.mrsas_enable="1"

I suspect that my card, 'MegaRAID SAS-3 3108 [Invader]' just isn't supported but I wanted a 2nd opinion on it. Also, if not supported, can I use mfiutil?

Thanks in advance.

Stefan042

Cadet
Well, the point is you need to replace that 3108 with an HBA.
After reading that post (Thanks for that), I think I understand. It's a backup server at home, so I'll hold off for now, but If I understand it correctly, I need a controller that exposes the underlying hardware visibility for monitoring and configuration.

Maybe a LSI 9300-8i with the proper firmware? I also have a couple of unused Dell R620's so I'll see what's in them and consider a swap of the card. I'll take a look and report back.

The nice thing is: This was made as a backup NAS so there is no rush as the primary is fine (I hope I didn't just Jinx myself!).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You also need a controller and driver that work reliably, which means something different for ZFS than it does for just trite server usage, which most RAID cards are fine for.

Stefan042

Cadet
You also need a controller and driver that work reliably, which means something different for ZFS than it does for just trite server usage, which most RAID cards are fine for.
Any personal recommendation? I'm looking in the neighborhood of max $200 for a controller.

I'm pretty handy but if I brick it, I could always put the original back in. It helps that this server pretty much dropped in my lap and this is a back up for my primary NAS (a good friend moving to another state and didn't want to ship a 7 year old server).

In any case, thank you for the guidance, it's very appreciated.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Your main issue is that if you have a 3108, that's going to be 12Gbps SAS, so the usually very cheap normal recommendations of an IBM ServeRAID M1015, Dell PERC H200, or Dell PERC H310 crossflashed won't work for you (at least not without recabling). You need an LSI 3008 based card, or to replace the cabling with one end SFF8087 so that you can use one of those "very cheap normal recommendations" (which is totally an option, but then you have to figure out the cabling TOO).

I am *positive* that you can find a better deal than this, but a few minutes of looking on eBay turned up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-12Gb-...8i-IT-MODE-ZFS-PC-UNRAID-TRUENAS/313273295449

This is not an endorsement, or recommendation, or anything else other than an example. It seems to come with IT firmware preflashed and both the full height and low profile brackets, which makes me think it is likely to be a swap-and-go for you.

Stefan042

Cadet
Your main issue is that if you have a 3108, that's going to be 12Gbps SAS, so the usually very cheap normal recommendations of an IBM ServeRAID M1015, Dell PERC H200, or Dell PERC H310 crossflashed won't work for you (at least not without recabling). You need an LSI 3008 based card, or to replace the cabling with one end SFF8087 so that you can use one of those "very cheap normal recommendations" (which is totally an option, but then you have to figure out the cabling TOO).

I am *positive* that you can find a better deal than this, but a few minutes of looking on eBay turned up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-12Gb-...8i-IT-MODE-ZFS-PC-UNRAID-TRUENAS/313273295449

This is not an endorsement, or recommendation, or anything else other than an example. It seems to come with IT firmware preflashed and both the full height and low profile brackets, which makes me think it is likely to be a swap-and-go for you.
Again, thanks for that. I'll look around and see.

Stefan042

Cadet

I got one of those cards and I have to say: That was most painless install I've ever done.
Opened the case, swap the card, plug the A and B connectors in, Reboot and it came right up.
I created the pool

The only change is, DA0 and DA1 (SSD OS disks) used to be mirrored, And from what I've read I believe I can fix that via the Truenas GUI.

Edit: WOW, THAT was simple. I just added the DA1 to the boot-pool...

Thanks!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sometimes it is worth a few extra bucks just for the positive experience. Happy it went well.