Upgrade motherboard from an old server

jakeyg

Cadet
Hi all,

I was running TrueNAS on an old HP elite sff 8200 G1 and everything was running fine. However, I needed to upgrade HDDs as I had run out of space. There were only 4 SATA ports and without knowing much about hardware for TrueNAS I went out and bought
SilverStone 6 Port SATA 3 PCIe Card
However, when I put it into the machine, FreeBSD didn't seem to recognise it. After much reading, I realise I should have purchased an HBA card, so I went out and purchased this
LSI 9207-8i
After putting this in, it still didn't show up on my system. So I opened everything up and it looks as though a mouse might have gotten in. I wiped the board down, cleaned out the PCIx lane and reinserted the card. It seemed to find it ok and found all the HDDs. However I now get constant reboots at random times, so I have a sneaking suspicion that the mouse has destroyed the board. So I'm looking to upgrade to more server-based hardware, but unfortunately, i don't have a huge sum of cash. so I'm requesting some advice on the following as I only have about $200 to spare ($250 at the high end) and wondering if I should get one of the below, or if anyone has better recommendations, given i already have power, case, HDDs HBA etc.

DELL R710 DUAL XEON E5530 2.4GHZ CPU'S 12GB @ $149

Dell PowerEdge T320 E5-2407 2.2GHz 16GB @ $250

Thanks so much for your recommendations, I really appreciate your advice.

Alecmascot

Guru
I have 7 drives each in two Dell T110II with flashed H200 HBAs.
Cheap as chips in the UK and have been 100% reliable for the last 4 years