Upgrade 9.10 Stable to 11.2-U7

Ladowali

Explorer
Hi Grurus,
I have upgraded my freenas from 9.10 Stable to 11.2-U7 and got to my new web dashboard. In 9.10 I had only one Plugin "Plex Media Server - 1.5.5.3634.
Now in new upgraded version 11.2-U7, I wanted to upgrade my Plex but it gives message: "Note: Legacy plugins created before FreeNAS 11.2 must be managed from the legacy web interface.". From the legacy interface, it only allow to delete the plugin but not give any option to either update or show any new plugins.

Can someone advise how should I proceed? If I delete the Plex from the legacy interface, can I able to pickup my video library for plex on my new interface?

Thanks

D

dlavigne

Did you do a stepped migration (9.10 -> 11.1 -> 11.2)? If not, it makes sense that a jail from 3 major versions (ABIs) ago did not get properly migrated. In that case, your shortest fix path is to reinstall and reconfigure the plugin.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, your options are limited. I had the similar problem when I was upgrading. The plugin from 9.10 can't be upgraded. You will need to backup your Plex data (watched movies etc.) then delete the old plugin. Once you install the new plugin, you can restore the data to Plex so it should still have playlists and things, but it is a bit of work to do.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I recall that someone did a thread about it. Please try a search. I will look and post back here if I find the thread.

Ladowali

Explorer
if I delete the plex plugin from my old legacy and reinstall new plugin on my new 11.2-U7 and configure it again, does it pickup my all movies and video files without loosing anything?
Backing up data mean backing up all data files or some kind of plugin setting? Because the data is too much to backup on another drive.

Thanks
Lado

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you already deleted the old plugin, it is not possible to backup what I was talking about. There is a database inside the Plex plugin that keeps track of things like whether or not a movie has been watched and if you have setup any playlists. It is not stricktly needed, more of a convenience.
The movies should be stored safely in your pool and it is probably just a matter of pointing your new Plex installation at them so they can be indexed.
This guide might be helpful in getting that setup:

pschatz100

Guru
As @Chris Moore commented, do not delete the old plugin until you have the new plugin working the way you want. It will not hurt anything to have the old plugin around - you can remove it after everything else is stable and functioning properly.

The only issue will be that, if the old plugin is still running, you will need to assign a different IP address to the new plugin.

After the new plugin is installed, you can copy your Plex preferences and meta data to the new plugin. There is some discussion in the Plex forums about doing this. Be forewarned: It will require that you execute a few FreeBSD commands from the Shell.

Your media itself will not be at risk. If you don't want to copy the information from the old Plex installation, you can re-run the media scans in the new installation but it might take a lot of time for a large data volume and you will lose your history of what has been played, etc.

At the end of the day, this is a good opportunity to learn a little bit about the system. Yes, this is a hands on task, but well worth the time and you will learn a few things that will help you understand the system a little better.

Ladowali

Explorer
As @Chris Moore commented, do not delete the old plugin until you have the new plugin working the way you want. It will not hurt anything to have the old plugin around - you can remove it after everything else is stable and functioning properly.

The only issue will be that, if the old plugin is still running, you will need to assign a different IP address to the new plugin.

After the new plugin is installed, you can copy your Plex preferences and meta data to the new plugin. There is some discussion in the Plex forums about doing this. Be forewarned: It will require that you execute a few FreeBSD commands from the Shell.

Your media itself will not be at risk. If you don't want to copy the information from the old Plex installation, you can re-run the media scans in the new installation but it might take a lot of time for a large data volume and you will lose your history of what has been played, etc.

At the end of the day, this is a good opportunity to learn a little bit about the system. Yes, this is a hands on task, but well worth the time and you will learn a few things that will help you understand the system a little better.
Thanks pschatz100

I have actually reinstalled freenas 11.2 U7 on the new pen drive and decided not to use the old config file as I don't want old plugin or other old settings to popup again. I just need to know how to bring/import my old pools. Is there any steps or video available on that?

pschatz100

Guru
Thanks pschatz100

I have actually reinstalled freenas 11.2 U7 on the new pen drive and decided not to use the old config file as I don't want old plugin or other old settings to popup again. I just need to know how to bring/import my old pools. Is there any steps or video available on that?
Importing the pools will be very straightforward. Check the latest FreeNAS documentation for details. It will be your best guide.

Ladowali

Explorer
Importing the pools will be very straightforward. Check the latest FreeNAS documentation for details. It will be your best guide.
Ok, I have imported my old pool on my new 11.2 U7 clean installation of freenas. Please see attached picture. Now the question is, what other steps should I follow so I can access my "\\freenas" from my windows networked pc. Currently I cannot access \\freenas to access my pool data.
Thanks

Attachments

• Freenas_11.2_Pools.jpg
    Freenas_11.2_Pools.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 252

pschatz100

Guru
Where is your data? It is not obvious from the screenshot you provided. Did you set up Samba shares for your data folders in order to access them from Windows?

Ladowali

Explorer
Where is your data? It is not obvious from the screenshot you provided. Did you set up Samba shares for your data folders in order to access them from Windows?
After the clean install on new pen drive, I have simply imported my previous pool, nothing else.
Can you please write me the other steps in order so I can try to complete those.

Thanks

pschatz100

Guru
Go to the FreeNAS "Services" tab, enable SMB and check the box to start automatically. That will enable the SMB service.
Then, on the FreeNAS "Sharing" tab, select Windows (SMB)shares and it will take you to a screen where you can add SMB shares. Of course, you have to know where your data is in order to share the proper folders. The FreeNAS documentation has more detail about this.

If you get this going OK, you will be on your way.

Ladowali

Explorer
Go to the FreeNAS "Services" tab, enable SMB and check the box to start automatically. That will enable the SMB service.
Then, on the FreeNAS "Sharing" tab, select Windows (SMB)shares and it will take you to a screen where you can add SMB shares. Of course, you have to know where your data is in order to share the proper folders. The FreeNAS documentation has more detail about this.

If you get this going OK, you will be on your way.

Thank you very much. I am able to map my folders in freenas now. The only problem now I have is, after installing Plex plug-in, when I try to add the folders on the plex library, the folders are showing greyed out. See the attached file and advise how I can fix this?

Thanks

Attachments

• Plex_Movies_Folder.jpg
    Plex_Movies_Folder.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 230

pschatz100

Guru
You need to add the folders where the data is to your Plex library. I would suggest that you consult the Plex documentation for help with this. They have a user forum as well that might be helpful.

Fredda

Guru
The only problem now I have is, after installing Plex plug-in, when I try to add the folders on the plex library, the folders are showing greyed out. See the attached file and advise how I can fix this?
The Plex User of the jail needs proper permissions to access these folders.
Fix these permissions with setfacl/chmod commands from the FreeNAS shell or via Windows
with the properties dialog and set read permissions for everyone in the security tab.
Also check the Plex subforum, this has been asked (and answered) several times in the past.

Ladowali

Explorer
Thanks pschatz100 and Fredda.
But in the mean while I have another issue where freenas is not booting up properly. I have to re-install it again on new media and configure everything again.