Updating Plex Plugin in 11.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmccullough

Patron
I have a plugin/jail I created with 11.2 BETA 2 that is running plexmediaserver-plexpass v1.13.5.5291:
Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 1.51.42 PM.png

Notice there is no "Update" option, even if I "Stop" the jail/plugin.

I have since updated to 11.2 RC1 and now the "Available Plugins" page shows that v1.13.8.5395 is available:
Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 1.50.25 PM.png

How do I update my jail/plugin to the latest version?

I have read that I can create a blank jail and install Plex from pkg or ports, but I would rather just use the plugin and update it there. It seems that if I use the plugin version, it would have fewer issues. Versus a blank jail that I would need to maintain. Is my thinking flawed? Should I just create a blank jail and install using 'pkg', and then update using pkg as needed?

kdragon75

Wizard
Beat me to it.

rmccullough

Patron
I followed those steps and they did not appear to update the plugin/jail to the newer version. Should I log a defect?

m0nkey_

MVP
Are you sure there is a newer version in the plugin repository? There may be an updated version of Plex, but it may have not made it's way into the repo.

rmccullough

Patron
Are you sure there is a newer version in the plugin repository? There may be an updated version of Plex, but it may have not made it's way into the repo.
I assumed that since the "Available Plugins" page (screenshot above) showed a newer version, that it was available. Notice in my screenshots how the "Installed Plugins" shows v1.13.5.5291 but "Available Plugins" shows v1.13.8.5395. I don't know for certain, but IMO this seems to indicate that if I were to create a new Jail from that plugin, it would be version v1.13.8.5395. And if that is the case, wouldn't that mean v1.13.8.5395 is in the repo?

kdragon75

Wizard
I know this won't help you fix what your facing now but I tend to prefer plain vanilla jails for reasons like this. I may not have a shiny button to click but it's easy to jump in and just update the packages that are installed in the jails. The I don't have to rely on plugin managers or a potentially buggy beta UI. Its slightly more work but WAY more reliable that the plugins.

kdragon75

Wizard
Versus a blank jail that I would need to maintain. Is my thinking flawed? Should I just create a blank jail and install using 'pkg', and then update using pkg as needed?
There's not much to maintain, just the updates and Plex will tell you when a new version is out. Make the jail, verify networking, add storage, set permissions as needed, forget it.

rmccullough

Patron
I know this won't help you fix what your facing now but I tend to prefer plain vanilla jails for reasons like this. I may not have a shiny button to click but it's easy to jump in and just update the packages that are installed in the jails. The I don't have to rely on plugin managers or a potentially buggy beta UI. Its slightly more work but WAY more reliable that the plugins.

I hear you, and I may go this route. I was just hoping to use the 1-click. Not really looking forward to re-doing my perms either, but not the end of the world...

Perhaps this is the right direction, create plain jail and install Plex there using pkg/ports.

I am starting to wonder if I should have done that for all of my plugins... I could probably have put them all (or most) in a single jail had I done that.

kdragon75

Wizard
I could probably have put them all (or most) in a single jail had I done that.
The nice thing about jails is that there is almost zero overhead. That's why every application or service I run, I run a separate jail. I can back them up independently, update independently, and everything else independently. I can even set resource limits to allow more fine grained control of memory usage.

raidflex

Guru
I highly recommend running regular jails, maintenance is very minimal. I have been running things this way for years without issues. You can also still move over your Plex data from the plugin to the new jail, all you need to do is setup the jail and mounts.

garm

Wizard
With the new UI and iocage there is even a “update” button per jail

raidflex

Guru

I was wondering what that was for, I thought originally it was for upgrading the jail to the latest FreeBSD version. So does this button run the "pkg upgrade" command?

rmccullough

Patron

@garm if you look at the first post, the "Update" in the menu does not appear to update the plugin/jail to the latest version of the plugin.

The nice thing about jails is that there is almost zero overhead. That's why every application or service I run, I run a separate jail. I can back them up independently, update independently, and everything else independently. I can even set resource limits to allow more fine grained control of memory usage.

I highly recommend running regular jails, maintenance is very minimal. I have been running things this way for years without issues. You can also still move over your Plex data from the plugin to the new jail, all you need to do is setup the jail and mounts.

@kdragon75 and @raidflex thanks, I think I will pursue setting up a blank jail and install plex that way. I appreciate your input here.

garm

Wizard
I was wondering what that was for, I thought originally it was for upgrading the jail to the latest FreeBSD version. So does this button run the "pkg upgrade" command?

My mistake, the update button runs
freebsd-update
which applies FreeBSD patches

garm

Wizard
To update you still need to manually run iocage pkg JAILNAME update and iocage pkg JAILNAME update

rmccullough

Patron
Thanks @garm but I ended up just creating a blank jail and installing Plex (w/ PlexPass) there. I can't seem to find the guide I used for installing/setting it up, but it was relatively painless.

Status
Not open for further replies.