Updated to 11.1 - now no internet access!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanstronian

Dabbler
Hi folks, I recently updated from 9.3 to the latest FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE version. Since then I have no internet access. I can't ping google.com, the Update page loads no trains and when I click "Check Now" I get this error:

Update server could not be reached

<urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known>

plus a load of Traceback text which I can post if necessary.

The only other thing I've changed (other than setting up internal network shares) is to click on the Plugins tab which advised me to set up a default gateway. I entered 192.168.1.1 into the IPv4 address with a nameserver of 8.8.8.8. This didn't bring back any plugins so I reverted the change to all blanks which is what it was before.

So at first glance it looks like release 11 has made changes which stop FreeNAS accessing the internet without some remedial action. The trouble is I don't know what remedial action is required.

Can anybody advise?

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You need a default gateway listed for network connectivity.

wanstronian

Dabbler
Hi Jailer,

Thanks - I assumed it was something like that but didn't know what to put in, and previous attempts had been fruitless. Your answer confirmed that was the issue and Google (eventually) turned out to be my friend. I did ipconfig on my Windows box and used the default gateway listed there.

All now working!

Cheers
W

Status
Not open for further replies.