Updated hardware - Disks aren't showing up.

Berkyjay

Contributor
I recently purchased some new hardware and I installed it into my rig and I finally got FreeNAS back up and running. But when I logged on none of my disks were available. I have these alerts showing up:
1561423526575.png

Not sure how to proceed here as it's a bit above my skill level. Have I lost my data or are there steps I can take to re-establish my raid array? If not then can someone explain what exactly did I do wrong here so can learn from this experience. Oh I do have a backup that's about 2 months old so losing data wouldn't be a total loss.

Here is the hardware that was there before and the new hardware.

Berkyjay

Contributor
Well, let's try some basic troubleshooting. What's the output of camcontrol devlist, zpool status, and zpool import?

camcontrol devlist:
<SanDisk Cruzer Fit 1.27> at scbus9 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)

zpool status:
pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:25:40 with 0 errors on Tue Jun 18 04:10:40 2019
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

zpool import:
Empty return

danb35

Hall of Famer
OK, so the OS isn't seeing the disks at all. It's possible that they all failed simultaneously, but it seems pretty unlikely. I assume the disks are all connected to the onboard SATA ports? Those are run by the Intel chipset, which should be supported. I'd check things like power and SATA cables--make sure everything's connected securely.

Berkyjay

Contributor
I'd check things like power and SATA cables--make sure everything's connected securely.

This. The second I read this I realized that I forgot to reconnect the power to the HDD cage. Gonna go check this now.

Berkyjay

Contributor
OK, so the OS isn't seeing the disks at all. It's possible that they all failed simultaneously, but it seems pretty unlikely. I assume the disks are all connected to the onboard SATA ports? Those are run by the Intel chipset, which should be supported. I'd check things like power and SATA cables--make sure everything's connected securely.

OK so I did forget to reconnect the power cables to the HDD cage. I rebooted but I haven't gotten the interface back yet. Does it take a long while for it to come back online when I have 13TB of data on those drives? Or should it happen within a minute or so?

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's not unusual for FreeNAS to take a few minutes to boot. If you can SSH to the server, re-run the same commands as before and see what they're telling you.

Berkyjay

Contributor
Yeah it's inaccessible. I can't even SSH in. I might have to reconnect the video card so I can see what's going on.

Update:

OK I think I know what's I know what's going on. Since this is a workstation Mobo it's defaulting to HDDs as the first boot device, superseding the thumbdrive with my OS. So I need to figure out how to change the boot order in the BIOS. Hopefully if I figure that out all this will clear up.

Last edited:

Berkyjay

Contributor
It's not unusual for FreeNAS to take a few minutes to boot. If you can SSH to the server, re-run the same commands as before and see what they're telling you.

OK sorry for the delay getting back to you. Work got in the way. So good news! I was able to get my drives back and all the data is intact. The issue came down to the fact that the hard drive cage in my case has 2 SATA ports per drive space. I had assumed incorrectly that they were interchangeable so I picked which one was more convenient to plug into per drive (very little space for connections).

So once I plug the power cables into the cage I was only getting a few drives showing up. Once I figured out which port was the correct one all the drives showed up and my RAID array was reestablished. I feel so relieved. Thank you for your help. You laid a few bread crumbs that helped me sort this out.