Updated from FreeNAS 9.3 to 11 and CrashPlan no longer works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven9810

Dabbler
Over the weekend I decided to update my system form FreeNAS 9.3 to 11. Update went well, but after the system rebooted and came back up, my CrashPlan plugin no longer will turn ON. Is there a step that I missed in order to get CrashPlan to keep working after an update to version 11 U4? Or will I need to nuke the plugin and jail and re-create them?

Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

scrappy

Patron
Personally I have not had much luck dealing with the crashplan plugin. IMHO, it's far better to run crashplan in a Linux VM if your machine supports it which will provide a native environment for crashplan/java.

Raven9810

Dabbler
Personally I have not had much luck dealing with the crashplan plugin. IMHO, it's far better to run crashplan in a Linux VM if your machine supports it which will provide a native environment for crashplan/java.

Are there any issues with going from the plugin to running it on a VM in terms of Crashplan being able to see the same data which it had already backed up and Crashplan still seeing this as the same storage? I am not sure I will have the resources to run a VM with crashplan, but I will look into it if a smooth transition can be completed.

adrianwi

Guru
If you are logging into the same CrashPlan account and mounting the same folders at the same locations then moving from the jail plugin to a VM based solution shouldn't require you to back anything up again. It will do a full scan, which might take some time depending on how much you have stored, but that's all I needed to do when I transitioned across some months ago. It's much happier running in a linux based VM, and doesn't tend to break when CrashPlan updates which it invariably did for me in a jail.

All that said, CrashPlan Home is not longer available and will shut down at some point in 2018. CrashPlan Pro is an alternative, but slightly more expensive and missing some of the Home features.

scrappy

Patron
Are there any issues with going from the plugin to running it on a VM in terms of Crashplan being able to see the same data which it had already backed up and Crashplan still seeing this as the same storage? I am not sure I will have the resources to run a VM with crashplan, but I will look into it if a smooth transition can be completed.

No problem seeing the same data when switching to a VM. You'd just have to mount an NFS, SMB, or SSHFS share to the VM from your FreeNAS. That part is slightly more complicated than mounting shares inside a jail, but it is totally doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.