Updated First server build, will it work or will it blow up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Znow

Dabbler
This server is going to be a storage server and a back up server for photos, vidoes and files. There will be 4 drives 2 tb each in a Raidz2 i think
Parts list
Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bitfenix-N...&qid=1468453966&sr=8-3&keywords=BitFenix+case
Motherboard :Supermicro Micro ATX https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supermicro...cro+ATX+DDR4+LGA+1151+Motherboards+X11SSM-F-O
Cpu : Intel Pentium G4400 https://www.amazon.de/Intel-Pentium...96586&sr=8-1&keywords=Pentium+Processor+G4400
Ram: M391A2K43BB1-CRC http://www.sicomputers.nl/memory-d4-2400-16gb-samsung-ecc-1-2v.html
Psu: Seasonic SS-430GB Active https://www.amazon.de/Seasonic-SS-4...=UTF8&qid=1468505072&sr=8-3&keywords=seasonic
Hdd : WD 2 TB NAS https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008JJLZ7G/ref=twister_B01F8OL790?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks in advance

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This server is going to be a storage server and a back up server for photos, vidoes and files. There will be 4 drives 2 tb each in a Raidz2 i think
Parts list

Thanks in advance
I am sure it will not blow up, unless you use explosives.
This configuration is not going to give you much storage to work with. How much data space do you need?
Also, this is a low horsepower CPU so you won't be able to use some of the other features of FreeNAS.
Had you considered the other features like running Plex Media Server or creating virtual machines VMs?

The only real problem I see is that the RAM should be ECC for best reliability.

Znow

Dabbler
This configuration is not going to give you much storage to work with. How much data space do you need?
Also, this is a low horsepower CPU so you won't be able to use some of the other features of FreeNAS.
Had you considered the other features like running Plex Media Server or creating virtual machines VMs?

The ram is Ecc i checked that, and no im not really thinking about running anything else, as i to be honest dont really need it, but for JUST storage and snapshots and all that good stuff is this set up good enough? And i maybe need 2 Tb per computer i own and that 3 so i think i have plenty, but how easy is it to increase the amount of storage?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I should get commissions from HP for this... Check out the HP Proliant ML10 with the i3-6100. In .us, it goes for under US$200, and I understand it's pretty inexpensive in the rest of the world. Probably the best bang-for-buck option, and should readily handle your workload.

Znow

Dabbler
I should get commissions from HP for this... Check out the HP Proliant ML10 with the i3-6100. In .us, it goes for under US$200, and I understand it's pretty inexpensive in the rest of the world. Probably the best bang-for-buck option, and should readily handle your workload.
Yep but really i want the expericane of building it and figuring it all out, because for me thats half of the fun, if i wanted something easy i would just have got a WD or synology, but i like a bit of a challenge and stuff (and yes ask Hp for a commission, you deserve it)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Up to you--I understand wanting the challenge, but I've been building PCs for 20 years or more, so there isn't a lot of challenge there any more, at least for me. As regards FreeNAS, the challenge (IMO) is primarily in the software, so you wouldn't really be missing anything by buying a pre-built server. But to each his own.

Znow

Dabbler
Up to you--I understand wanting the challenge, but I've been building PCs for 20 years or more, so there isn't a lot of challenge there any more, at least for me. As regards FreeNAS, the challenge (IMO) is primarily in the software, so you wouldn't really be missing anything by buying a pre-built server. But to each his own.
Yeah, thanks for the suggestion anyway, means alot ;)

Znow

Dabbler

I mean should i upgrade to a i3 , would that be better?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I mean should i upgrade to a i3 , would that be better?
No. Go with a G4560 or G4600. Only slightly more expensive than the G4400 and it has 2 cores/4threads and faster clock speed. IMHO they are the bargain CPU to get.

Znow

Dabbler
ok
No. Go with a G4560 or G4600. Only slightly more expensive than the G4400 and it has 2 cores/4threads and faster clock speed. IMHO they are the bargain CPU to get.
ok thanks, ill go for one of them then ;)

CraigD

Patron
6. 8 or 10 drives are better than 4

Remember the width of a vdev cannot be changed without destroying the data on it

I use FreeNAS for storage and backups only and use the older Pentium G3258 so the newer Pentium chips are fine for your use case

The G4560 is worth the extra money however make sure the BIOS has been updated so it is supported

As for RAM, don't pay that price

Znow

Dabbler
6. 8 or 10 drives are better than 4

Remember the width of a vdev cannot be changed without destroying the data on it

I use FreeNAS for storage and backups only and use the older Pentium G3258 so the newer Pentium chips are fine for your use case

The G4560 is worth the extra money however make sure the BIOS has been updated so it is supported

As for RAM, don't pay that price
ok thanks, Hdds are expensive though, so ill look into how much i actually need, and yeah ill look for it somwhere cheaper then

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
ok thanks, Hdds are expensive though, so ill look into how much i actually need, and yeah ill look for it somwhere cheaper then
An idea, for you to think about, you can pickup some inexpensive 1TB hard drives to put the array together and migrate to larger drives as your storage need increases. I did that with my first NAS. I used 5 1TB drives in a RAID-z2 and later changed them to 2TB drives to double my capacity. You can do an in-place migration by replacing one disk at a time. Once all the new disks are installed, your storage pool automatically expands.
It depends on what you can do financially and the amount of space you need for storage.
For example: 5 drives at 1TB each in z2 would give you about 2.6 TB of usable storage
or 6 drives at 1TB each in z2 would give you about 3.5 TB of usable storage
if you double the drive size to 2TB drives, 6 drives gets you about 7 TB of storage.
These are only estimates, fairly accurate, but estimates and you have to decide what you need.

Znow

Dabbler
An idea, for you to think about, you can pickup some inexpensive 1TB hard drives to put the array together and migrate to larger drives as your storage need increases. I did that with my first NAS. I used 5 1TB drives in a RAID-z2 and later changed them to 2TB drives to double my capacity. You can do an in-place migration by replacing one disk at a time. Once all the new disks are installed, your storage pool automatically expands.
It depends on what you can do financially and the amount of space you need for storage.
For example: 5 drives at 1TB each in z2 would give you about 2.6 TB of usable storage
or 6 drives at 1TB each in z2 would give you about 3.5 TB of usable storage
if you double the drive size to 2TB drives, 6 drives gets you about 7 TB of storage.
These are only estimates, fairly accurate, but estimates and you have to decide what you need.
Thanks alot i think im going to end up doing a Raidz with 4 drives, but ill look into what you talked about

Status
Not open for further replies.