Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Recently I have tried to resuscitate an old laptop and I'm having issues with
Windows 7 Pro (SP1) fresh install failing to update:mad:
In the process of trying numerous "fixes" found on the internet, I've had to
stop working on this project due to extreme frustration and the temptation
of taking a hammer to both the computer and the OEM disk that cost me $100!
There are dozens of claims to have fixed this update issue, but after trying many
of them (if not all) without even a small amount of progress, my patience has
come to an end.
If there is someone in this forum that has experience with solving this update
debacle in Windows 7, I beg your assistance and would be willing to compensate
you for your time.
As of this writing, I've noticed my personal desktop has stopped updating as well,
it also is running 7 Pro OEM.
Please, if you are posting links, this is not what I'm asking for. I need to have a
direct dialogue with someone who has personally solved this issue for self or clients.
Thanks for reading and taking the time. Dave

joeschmuck

Old Man
What are you talking about? I run Win7Pro OEM on my machine, no issues with updates. Guess I need to go take a search on the internet to see what you are talking about.

Edit: I found a few references to the windoze updater not working, I assume that is what you are referring to.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do you know if this also fails when installing in a VM? If you think so then I can do a clean install in a VM and see what I can manage. Well after I go outside in the cool weather and work on my headlights.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Do you know if this also fails when installing in a VM? If you think so then I can do a clean install in a VM and see what I can manage. Well after I go outside in the cool weather and work on my headlights.
I have not tried a VM (fresh install), I've just tried two seperate times
to install to the laptop (HP Pavilion DV6-2170US) with the original
hard disk being replaced with an SSD that was collecting dust here.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I have the best fix:. Switch to a better OS. ;)
Oh I hear you...
The machine gets used primarily by visiting family to surf the web, listen to music and occasionally watch streaming movies. I set it up with a Mint 17 install (which worked flawlessly btw) but they all squealed like pigs cause it was not what they were used to. So in order to lower the decibel level of verbal complaints within my domicile, I picked up another copy of Windows and have had nothing but grief because of this update crap.

joeschmuck

Old Man

joeschmuck

Old Man
Dave,
Have you tried to download SP2? I know you didn't ask for links but the updates came out in May 2016 and that may help out. Here is the link to the download site, I'd save the file (bottom one) locally first and then try to install it. If you have already tried this then I'm currently out of clean install options:
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=3125574

A dirty install option would be to take and restore a backup copy of a Windows 7 Pro to your laptop and see if it will boot up. It might not but if it does then you can change the license and activate it, well after you clean up everything and make it what you want.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Have you tried to download SP2? I know you didn't ask for links but the updates came out in May 2016 and that may help out. Here is the link to the download site, I'd save the file (bottom one) locally first and then try to install it. If you have already tried this then I'm currently out of clean install options:
Thanks for taking the time Mark, but that file uses the Windows Update Standalone Installer which unfortunately hangs endlessly on this little window
image.jpeg
I've tried many of the fixes that were published by microsoft forum sites and others as well, Recent stuff as well as older fixes too.
It's been a complete fail thus far.

gpsguy

Download "WSUS offline" and build an update package. I have experienced the issue myself on both Win 7 and Vista. This resolved the issue on both OS' and after getting over the hurdle subsequent updates went fine.

A lot of users have run into this issue.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Download "WSUS offline" and build an update package. I have experienced the issue myself on both Win 7 and Vista. This resolved the issue on both OS' and after getting over the hurdle subsequent updates went fine.
Ok then, it's time to put on a pot of coffee, roll up my sleeves and go to work. This is the light at the end of the tunnel that I've been locking for. One simple question for clarification though, does "build an update package" mean gathering up all those .msu files or just the major "update rollups"?

Stux

MVP
One of the reasons why I install win8/10 instead of win 7.

People like to think that win8 brought nothing to the table but under the shiny start screen there were major improvements to windows.

And as far as I can tell it's hw requirements are the same.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
One simple question for clarification though, does "build an update package" mean gathering up all those .msu files or just the major "update rollups"?
The latest update rollup should do the trick. Up until a few months ago, it would've been the former.

gpsguy

It should, but my guess is that it won't work for BigDave. I will post a fuller reply when I get home in about 30 minutes.

The latest update rollup should do the trick. Up until a few months ago, it would've been the former.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
For me, the magic sequence is:
  1. SP1 if not already present.
  2. WUA 7.6.7600.320.
  3. KB3020369.
  4. KB3172605.

gpsguy

No, it's not just the .msu files. In looking at the ISO I built for Vista, most of the files were .cab's and a few .msu's. The resulting file was about 2GB in size.

If you look at the doc's - http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/, you use the GUI to generate a package (I chose the "Create ISO image") and once it was done, extracted the files with 7-zip and ran "Updateinstaller". IIRC, I might have had to re-run the latter multiple times, until nothing else installed.

Ok then, it's time to put on a pot of coffee, roll up my sleeves and go to work. This is the light at the end of the tunnel that I've been locking for. One simple question for clarification though, does "build an update package" mean gathering up all those .msu files or just the major "update rollups"?

For background - I manage ~150 Windows desktops (historically Win 7 Pro, though 125 are now running Win 10 Ent), for two organizations. I use WSUS to patch them and have never run into any issues. I even used to use WSUS at home on a 2003 Server (gave it up, when I switched to FreeNAS).

Approximately 6 months ago, I ran into issues with a few VM's at home, as well as my Vista Ultimate (don't laugh) laptop. If I tried to run MS update, it would try for hours/days and not update. I tried all "fixes" online and finally remembered the "WSUS offline" product. It worked like a charm. I created packages for both the OS and Office products.

In the last two months, there it's been discussed in several weekly issues of "WServerNews", for example: http://www.wservernews.com/newsletters/archives/wservernews-com-windows-7-updating-pain-15667.html In later issues, others have said that "WSUS offline" fixed it for them too.

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The updater has run through it's first set of installs and so far,
KB3172605 & KB3177467 has been installed.
Going to run it again and go to bed, have a project at work tomorrow.
Thanks for all those who responded, especially @gpsguy

I'll post back tomorrow evening with an update of my progress.
Dave

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
update-success.jpg
100% total success, check it out.

A lot of users have run into this issue.

This post was awesome and turned out to be the solution to my woes.
A huge thanks to @gpsguy
Now where to send that monetary thank you?
PM me your PayPal address?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm very glad to hear about this success. I didn't even know this was a problem. So I'm keeping these instructions handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.