SOLVED Update from 9.10.1 to 9.10.2 broke my install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajedi32

Dabbler
So I noticed FreeNAS now has a 9.10.2 version available and decided to upgrade. After installing the update, I checked for updates again and the Web GUI suggested that I go to the boot tab and activate 9.10.2, then reboot. When I first tried to do this, I got an error saying that the activation failed. I then rebooted (which worked fine) and tried activating 9.10.2 again. This time the activation succeeded, but after rebooting everything is messed up:

7DhGDsv.jpg

I'm not able to get to the Web GUI or the Console Setup Menu. All my Jails are still functioning just fine.

I was able to SSH into the box, but I'm unsure of what to do from here. Is there a way to revert to 9.10.1 from the console so I can attempt to update again? Or perhaps some other steps I can take to fix my install?

On a possibly related note, I did notice some commands in my SSH session seem to be nonfunctioning. For example, wget doesn't work:

Code:
[root@freenas] /mnt/MAIN# wget --help
Shared object "libintl.so.8" not found, required by "wget"

Also, `freenas-update` is broken:

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# freenas-update --help
ERROR:root:code for hash md5 was not found.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 147, in <module>
	globals()[__func_name] = __get_hash(__func_name)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 97, in __get_builtin_constructor
	raise ValueError('unsupported hash type ' + name)
ValueError: unsupported hash type md5
ERROR:root:code for hash sha1 was not found.
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 97, in __get_builtin_constructor
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha1
ERROR:root:code for hash sha224 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha224
ERROR:root:code for hash sha256 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha256
ERROR:root:code for hash sha384 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha384
ERROR:root:code for hash sha512 was not found.
ValueError: unsupported hash type sha512
  File "/usr/local/bin/freenas-update", line 13, in <module>
	import freenasOS.Configuration as Configuration
  File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Configuration.py", line 9, in <module>
	import ssl
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 97, in <module>
	import _ssl			 # if we can't import it, let the error propagate
ImportError: Shared object "libssl.so.8" not found, required by "_ssl.so"

Why am I suddenly missing `libssl.so.8`? Is there a way to install it from the CLI? Would that fix my problem?

Edit: Solved! See https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/update-9-10-1u4-to-9-10-2-no-gui.48830/#post-335115

Last edited:

Sup3rNerdy

Cadet
Same error running anything as sudo

Is there a way via cli to revert to the previous boot environment ?

D

dlavigne

It's possible the boot device died. Have you tried installing 9.10.2 to a different stick and restoring your config?

ndehmer

Cadet
I had an issue with the GUI upgrade as well. I didn't have SSH access setup and the CLI was having an issue that looked like a stuck key or something. So I created another update USB Stick and booted off of that and then re-did the upgrade from the install USB to the existing USB. SO far everything is working as expected.

Ajedi32

Dabbler
I don't think the boot device is dead, as I'm able to boot up and access other files on the boot device just fine. Even the Jails still work.

I don't have a spare memory stick on me at the moment, but I suppose I could order one and try a reinstall when the new one arrives. In the meantime though, is there a way to revert to 9.10.1 using just the command line?

Ajedi32

Dabbler
To answer my own question, @cyberjock said this in the other thread:

# beadm list

That'll list your boot environments. Find the one you want and do:

# beadm activate <boot environment name>

For most of us, this will likely be:

# beadm activate 9.10.1-U4

Then reboot and you'll be back on your old boot environment.

Note that you can reboot from the command line with
Code:
shutdown -r now

Unfortunately, these steps didn't quite work for me. See the other thread for further discussion.

rogerh

Guru
I don't think the boot device is dead, as I'm able to boot up and access other files on the boot device just fine. Even the Jails still work.

I don't have a spare memory stick on me at the moment, but I suppose I could order one and try a reinstall when the new one arrives. In the meantime though, is there a way to revert to 9.10.1 using just the command line?
Reboot the machine with a monitor attached (or via IPMI with a remote console viewer) and when it reaches the Grub menu quickly use the up/down arrow keys to choose a suitable boot environment (possibly 9.10.1-U4). Then press 'enter' and it should boot in the older version.

Lang Chen

Dabbler
I have the same issue when update to 9.10.2 from 9.10.1-U4. I did what rogerh and rollback to 9.10.1-U4.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Question.

Are you, in fact, running FreeNAS on a laptop?

Ajedi32

Dabbler
Yes, that's correct. I took an old laptop I had lying around and turned it into a home server running FreeNAS. It's been working pretty well for me so far. It even has a built-in UPS. ;-)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, that's correct. I took an old laptop I had lying around and turned it into a home server running FreeNAS. It's been working pretty well for me so far. It even has a built-in UPS. ;-)
You're certainly the outlier when it comes to that.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
so if it's running on the laptop, your drives are connected...how? USB external?

Ajedi32

Dabbler
so if it's running on the laptop, your drives are connected...how? USB external?

Yep:

FIaQEkb.jpg

It's a bit of a hack, but like I said it's been working pretty well for me so far. Pretty light on my budget too. :p

tvsjr

Guru
It'll run well, until it gets knocked off, or a cable gets unplugged, or a drive fails and you have no warning since there's no SMART data available. You can get 2-bay NAS enclosures in the $100-$150 range these days... that's a WAY better solution, IMO.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
It's a bit of a hack, but like I said it's been working pretty well for me so far.
May you be preserved from feasting on zaqqum in the fires of Jahannam sir, for what you have done. :) To say the least, the answer to the question: "Will it laptop" when "it" refers to FreeNAS, the answer is "no".

DeepSpace

Cadet
What laptop is that? Is that a painted XPS 15? It looks like my old XPS 15 if I spray painted it black....

Ajedi32

Dabbler
It'll run well, until it gets knocked off, or a cable gets unplugged

The power has actually gone out on me once or twice, so far there's been no data loss as a result of that. The drives are running in RAID 1 so there's at least some redundancy there in case something goes wrong, but yeah I guess if the drive bay falls off the shelf that's not gonna do me much good.

or a drive fails and you have no warning since there's no SMART data available

Are you sure there's no SMART data? The drive bay I'm using does support UASP, and SMART does seem to be working fine on the drives in those bays:

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# smartctl --health /dev/da0
smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

You can get 2-bay NAS enclosures in the $100-$150 range these days... that's a WAY better solution, IMO.

You mean a USB drive enclosure connected to the laptop via USB? I guess that'd be a more physically secure solution (as in, it'd be harder to accidentally knock the drives out of the drive bay), but other than that are there any big advantages over my current setup? (Given that I'm only dealing with two drives at the moment.)

Ajedi32

Dabbler
May you be preserved from feasting on zaqqum in the fires of Jahannam sir, for what you have done. :) To say the least, the answer to the question: "Will it laptop" when "it" refers to FreeNAS, the answer is "no".

Haha. :p

But seriously; why not? I mean, I get that FreeNAS is primarily meant for servers, but is there any specific reason why you shouldn't run it on a laptop? o_O

Ajedi32

Dabbler
What laptop is that? Is that a painted XPS 15? It looks like my old XPS 15 if I spray painted it black....

Nope, Dell Inspiron. (See the upper-left corner of the photo in my original post at the start of this thread.) I don't recall exactly what version, but here are the specs:

Build FreeNAS-9.10.2 (a476f16)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory 6020MB
Load Average 0.33, 0.27, 0.24

Status
Not open for further replies.