Update Freenas 8.3.1 to 9.1.1 RaidZ (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusan

Guru
Can you please post output of "zpool status" and "zpool import"?

alzzzz

Cadet
Hi Dusan, outputs below

zpool status.JPG

I've managed to revert using a separate VM and the previously saved freenas config file, using CCleaner worked for me to clear the browser cache as seen in another thread when going from 9 back to 8.

I have now read numerous posts about not doing RDM which I will look to solve by purchasing a recommended controller but that will take a while

I'd still like to get this working and happy to run any diagnostics

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you used rdm kiss it goodbye. The thread that say no rdm is for good reason. It just up and fails without warning and it corrupts the pool.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

alzzzz

Cadet
Cyberjock, I have already pointed out I've read advice on the use of RDM and looking to migrate to a more recommended solution, however I only happened upon the thread earlier this week. I built the box a while back before this info was readily available.

I've managed to revert and data is all good and I keep an offline copy anyway

A big thanks to the Freenas team for an awesome system, ultra impressive work.

If any further troubleshooting would help others let me know.

FlynnVT

Dabbler
Cyberjock, I have already pointed out I've read advice on the use of RDM and looking to migrate to a more recommended solution, however I only happened upon the thread earlier this week. I built the box a while back before this info was readily available.

I've managed to revert and data is all good and I keep an offline copy anyway

A big thanks to the Freenas team for an awesome system, ultra impressive work.

If any further troubleshooting would help others let me know.

Your symptoms are exactly the same as what I observed with ESXi 5.1: physical RDMs fail with Free[BSD,NAS] 9+, but work OK with version 8. The root cause is the RDM discs being identified as 0 bytes in size.

I try new out new versions of 9 every so often to see if any upstream changes in the CAM have resolved the problem, but no change to date. Virtual RDMs work OK for data, but have drawbacks that I don't like (no spindown, no SMART). My HW doesn't support PCI passthough, so I've simply chosen to stay on FreeNAS 8.3.2 for now.

This thread runs though the details: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/disks-not-configured-in-freenas-9-1-release.14287/

Status
Not open for further replies.