Update Freenas 8.3.1 to 9.1.1 RaidZ (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertjan11

Dabbler
Dear all,

I try to update my FreeNAS from FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 to FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 but....

I did a fresh install of 9.1.1 on a new USB stick and restore my settings from the backup file that a made in 8.3.1 but after a reboot it starts but my zpool is gone and in the right corner of FreeNAS it gave me an error: volume Volume1 RaidZ (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN.

I know that the problem is that my zpool version is 26 and FreeNAS 9.1.1 only support version 5000 but i can`t found the solution anywhere or how I can update my zpool.. can you please advise me to get my zpool back and don`t lose all my data?
thanks!

the reason why i want to install it on a new usb stick is that my old USB stick is only 2gb and is too small to do a "cd update" so i going to update to a 4gb stick

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, you update a mounted pool with zpool upgrade POOLNAME

Read the warning in the manual before doing it as it is undoable.

Secondly, I promise you its not a pool version as the cause of your problems. Post the output of zpool status and zpool import after you reboot again(use SSH to copy and paste the command output and put it in CODE). Then post your hardware used.

As long as you don't go crazy with formatting your disks or are virtualizing via RDM, your data is probably safe.

Edit: Thanks Dusan.. its zpool upgrade, not zpool update.

robertjan11

Dabbler
so for my info:
- Install FreeNAS 9.1.1 on my new USB stick
- upload my old config + reboot
- Go to the Shell and type: zpool upgrade Volume1

cyberjock

Inactive Account
so for my info:
- Install FreeNAS 9.1.1 on my new USB stick
- upload my old config + reboot
- Go to the Shell and type: zpool upgrade Volume1

No, post the output of zpool import, zpool status, and provide your hardware configuration as I asked above.

If your pool isn't mounting(which it isn't from your comments about the error message in the GUI) then you can't upgrade the pool(which only reinforces my comment that you can't upgrade an unmounted pool) You need to figure out why its not mounting first.

robertjan11

Dabbler
%zpool import Volume1
cannot import 'Volume1': no such pool available
%zpool status
no pools available

Hardware:
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Memory 8057MB
ATA Controller: Areca ARC-1300ix-16
HDD: 6x 250gb + 6x 150gb

cyberjock

Inactive Account
%zpool import Volume1
cannot import 'Volume1': no such pool available
%zpool status
no pools available

I didn't say zpool import Volume1. I just said zpool import. Please be very careful what you are running. If you are going to keep adjusting my commands you might find your data lost because you tried to actually do an import and it trashes your data.

And please include it in CODE. I asked for CODE because the formatting of the text is VERY important.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Also, please include the output of:

camcontrol devlist

dmesg (You will probably have to pipe this to a file as it may be more than your SSH buffer).

robertjan11

Dabbler
Also, please include the output of:

camcontrol devlist

dmesg (You will probably have to pipe this to a file as it may be more than your SSH buffer).

Hi CyberJock,

Here is the output like you ask:

/root$ zpool import
/root$ zpool status
no pools available
/root$ camcontrol devlist
<General USB Flash Disk 1100> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)

output of dmesg is in the attachemate

thanks!

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 290
  • Freenas.jpg
    Freenas.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 242
  • freenas2.png
    freenas2.png
    27 KB · Views: 260
  • freenas3.png
    freenas3.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 252

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So it looks like the controller you have your hard drives connected to isn't compatible with FreeBSD 9. I'd say you are going to have to go back to 8.x until you can afford a new controller that is compatible with FreeNAS 9(the M1015 is an excellent choice, performs very well and is inexpensive).

robertjan11

Dabbler
you make me cry :(:( i just spend 350 Euro for this controller .. and i want just the plex media server plugin :(:(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, we recommend the M1015 for a reason. It works, it does everything that we need it to do and doesn't do anything we don't want it to do.

robertjan11

Dabbler
one problem for me for the M1015, its only compatible for 8 hdd`s and i need to connect 16 hdd`s

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Then you either buy 2 of them or add a SAS expander. I use an M1015 + Intel SAS to get up to 24 disks. As far as I know, if you want a single controller with 16 drives you will may more than twice the price of one M1015. Its cheaper in the long run to go 2xM1015, but the choice is yours.

robertjan11

Dabbler
Ok 2 should be possible and fits into my system but i must setup all the shares and user settings again? U think it is not all plug and play

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You shouldn't need to setup anything at all. It should just boot up and immediately work.

warri

Guru
Open a feature request in the bug tracker to include the driver in the next release.

alzzzz

Cadet
I have an N40L with vmware (ESXi 5.5) running on a USB stick and 3 physical drives mapped through to a freenas VM

I just upgraded from 8.3.1 Release p2 to 9.1.1 Release (64) using the iso image installer

Upgrade seemed successful however, it appears my ZFS volume is having issues (Status UNKNOWN)

Warning.JPG

Volume.JPG

The 3 disks seem to be visible.

Disks.JPG

I do have an offline backup of my data so not panicking, wou
C:\Users\Al\Desktop\FREENAS ISSUES\Warning.JPG
ld just prefer not to rebuild the freenas config from scratch and copy all the data back as I didnt take a snapshot. I also have a backup of the config file prior to the upgrade.

I tried it on a test vm with virtual disks first and all went well. Only difference is the mapped physical drives and less services configured.

Test VM is now on 9.2 Release so not as much use for reference (Upgrading from 8.3 to 9.2 directly didn't work so went to 9.1.1 first)

Reading the above thread this may be hardware controller issue, I'm no expert and not sure whether the N40L standard hardware is supported after also reading the freenas Disk Section.

I tried the auto import volume button with no luck.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.