Unmaximising the browser window makes the menu disappear

mpfusion

Contributor
I have a question regarding the UI. When I open up the GUI on a maximised browser window there is the left navigation that can be hidden with a small “Toggle Collapse” button. When I unmaximise the browser window, the left menu disappears (which is okay, there is less screen real estate available). It keeps being accessible via the “Burger Menu”, though.

However, if the screen is maximised again, the UI changes to a two-column layout and the left menu doesn't show up again. And I cannot seem to find a way to get the menu back. The small “Toggle Collapse” button vanished.

Is there a way to get the left menu back that I'm not aware of? My current workaround is to reload the page.

Or is this a bug in the UI?

Firefox 68.7.0esr
FreeNAS 11.3-U2

Attachments

• 01-maximised.png
    01-maximised.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 02-unmaximised.png
    02-unmaximised.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 03-remaximised.png
    03-remaximised.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 163

pschatz100

Guru
I am running Firefox 75.0, and do not see this problem. What happens when you click on the three bars in the upper left corner of the window?

I can duplicate your screen display by setting the zoom factor in Firefox large enough to fill the window with the graphs. However, regardless of the zoom, when I click on the three bars, the navigation bar toggles back on.

When I first updated to FreeNAS 11.3, I had to clear the browser cache to get all the displays to work properly, so I suggest the following: 1) Check the Zoom factor in your browser to make certain it is set at the normal 100%, 2) clear your browser cache, 3) Update to the current version of Firefox.

mpfusion

Contributor
I am running Firefox 75.0, and do not see this problem. What happens when you click on the three bars in the upper left corner of the window?
OK, that's interesting. When I click the three-bar menu (which I called “Burger Menu”) the left bar temporarily appears. But once an item is selected it disappears again. It doesn't stick.

I can duplicate your screen display by setting the zoom factor in Firefox large enough to fill the window with the graphs. However, regardless of the zoom, when I click on the three bars, the navigation bar toggles back on.

Here it doesn't. Well, it does toggle on, but it disappears once an item is selected.

When I first updated to FreeNAS 11.3, I had to clear the browser cache to get all the displays to work properly, so I suggest the following: 1) Check the Zoom factor in your browser to make certain it is set at the normal 100%, 2) clear your browser cache, 3) Update to the current version of Firefox.

1) Zoom is at 100%
2,3) I can reproduce this with Firefox 75.0 started in a new instance. So it's not related to cache or personal settings.

pschatz100

Guru
1) Zoom is at 100%
2,3) I can reproduce this with Firefox 75.0 started in a new instance. So it's not related to cache or personal settings.
Just to complete my original train of thought, you cleared your browser cache and the problem remained?
Does this same problem occur when you use another browser?

How about providing the details of your system? It is not really possible to comment further without all the information.
I looked at the bug report you filed, and there are no details in there, either.

pschatz100

Guru
I was able to reproduce the bug :)
How about providing the details of your system? It is not really possible to comment further without all the information.

mpfusion

Contributor
Just to complete my original train of thought, you cleared your browser cache and the problem remained?
I created a new instance, which should use a different (empty) cache.

Does this same problem occur when you use another browser?

I installed chromium 79.0.3945.130 and I could not reproduce the issue. So it might be browser-related.

I looked at the bug report you filed, and there are no details in there, either.
I don't know what details to provide, the usual stuff like RAM, CPU, network adapter, disk configuration, etc. don't apply because it's a UI issue. I can reproduce this on a Debian Live 10.2 VM (64bit) with Firefox 68.2.0esr as well as Firefox 75.0. Screen resolution is 1600x804.

If there's anything else you (or the devs reading the bug report) want to know, please ask.

What happens when you un-maximize and then change the width of the window?

pschatz100

Guru
I don't know what details to provide, the usual stuff like RAM, CPU, network adapter, disk configuration, etc. don't apply because it's a UI issue. I can reproduce this on a Debian Live 10.2 VM (64bit) with Firefox 68.2.0esr as well as Firefox 75.0. Screen resolution is 1600x804.

If there's anything else you (or the devs reading the bug report) want to know, please ask.
Well, I DID ask for details, and you didn't answer - and you didn't bother to say you were running in a VM. Anyway, it would appear to be a Firefox issue, not a FreeNAS bug. Good luck.

That works, indeed.

I was also able to reproduce the original issue, but after changing the window width, it went away and I can no longer reproduce it.
That was on Firefox 75.

mpfusion

Contributor
Well, I DID ask for details, and you didn't answer

I wasn't aware of that, otherwise I would have provided what you asked for. Actually I can't find your post asking for details.

and you didn't bother to say you were running in a VM. Anyway, it would appear to be a Firefox issue, not a FreeNAS bug.
It's reproducible in a VM and on bare metal. So it's unlikely VM-related and I didn't mention it.

Either it's a Firefox bug or a bug in the FreeNAS UI which just doens't show in chromium. I don't know. The devs can check that and either fix it in FreeNAS or close the bug if it turns out to be a bug in Firefox.