SOLVED Unix Permissions wont save after previously being Windows Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbaForFun

Cadet
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer on this.

I have a dataset. I originally set it up as Windows with a CIFS share, but further reading has made me think that this may not be the best method when I have a mix of Windows, Android and Linux operating systems on my network. I wanted to change to UNIX. So I stopped the CIFS service, changed the dataset permissions to UNIX and then attempted to change the permissions. I get a message telling me that the change was successful, but nothing actually changes. The unix permissions are exactly as before.

Is this expected behaviour? Will I have to remove the dataset to change from Windows to Unix? :(

Please forgive my ignorance. I'm new to Freenas and I've done a lot of reading on it, but I just couldn't find anything addressing this particular problem anywhere.

Thanks again,
vbaForFun

D

dlavigne

Is this expected behaviour?

Yes, it is to prevent ACLs from getting clobbered.

And your system is fine as-is. If you are using a CIFS share, you want to be using ACLs, regardless of the operating system.

vbaForFun

Cadet
Thanks for the super-fast response.

I'll stick with Windows and CIFS then.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Any particular reason why you wouldn't want ACLs with NFS? Most operating systems support them. Do you have an ancient client that does not?

Note, however, that you don't want to share the same dataset simultaneously using 2 different sharing methods. Changing sharing methods on the same dataset should be fine.

vbaForFun

Cadet
You're right. I just went back and tried to edit out that question before you saw it, but too late...

yeah, I don't think I have any need to move to away from ACLs. I'm going to do some reading up and learn how to use ACL's properly.
Thanks for your time. oh, and good catch on the 2 shares thing, I would probably have tried that at some point!

Status
Not open for further replies.