Dataset Permissions vs Share Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

carleycr

Patron
I apologize for the long post ahead of time. I'm not getting any traction on another post I created a while ago, so I'm trying here.

About 3 years ago when I setup my freenas box using Freenas 9, I setup my Main volume as a Unix volume. I then created 2 datasets, DS1 and Media. DS1 is a windows share (documents, photos, general storage) and Media for media. When I created these datasets I used the default permissions type, which at the time, I believe was windows permissions. This assumption is based on the current permissions the datasets are set to currently. Since the initial implementation I've updated Freenas multiple times and am now on Freenas 11 Stable.

Shortly after the initial implementation, I've created NFS and CIFS shares. The NFS share was for the Media dataset and the CIFS share for the DS1 dataset. I access these shares using a Mac. Over the years, I've also updated my Mac OS. At one point, I was no longer able to access the CIFS share with my Mac, so I created an NFS share for my DS1 dataset. In short, I now have a CIFS and NFS share for both the DS1 and Media datasets (4 shares in total). In the past 3 or 4 months, I've lost write access to the DS1 dataset, Plex is unable to read from the DS1 dataset, and my Media dataset says files exist, even though I don't see those files in the Media dataset.

My questions:
  • Can I or should I change the permissions of the datasets to be Unix?
  • Will this cause issues or fix issues?
  • If I delete shares and re-create them, will this fix some of my permissions issues?
  • Any precautions I can take, such as taking snapshots of datasets, before making modifications
  • Any other advice to fix my permissions issues?
Thanks in advance.

carleycr

Patron
bump

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should only be exposing your datasets over a single protocol. I suggest cifs since it works across all operating systems.

Default dataset permissions is Unix but if shared with smb it should be windows permissions.

carleycr

Patron
Thanks for the input SweetAndLow. If I delete the necessary shares to only have the appropriate datasets shared over the 1 protocol, would this automatically fix the dataset permissions? Would this cause any further issues? What precautions can I take in case something goes wrong?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No deleting a share only deletes the share it does not change random things on the filesystem. When you delete a share make sure you do not also delete the dataset along with that share.

have you seen this video, it describes permissions and shares. https://youtu.be/RxggaE935PM

carleycr

Patron
I watched this video, but doesn't really do much for me. I've deleted the shares that could be potentially causing issues. I think what needs to happen is use SSH to view the permissions of both datasets, compare those permissions, and see what needs to be updated so that Plex can read from the DS1 dataset. Any advice on that?

carleycr

Patron
Bump

Status
Not open for further replies.