Undo adding a disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nik Valiris

Cadet
I wondered if someone could help. I've made a rookie mistake being in a hurry typically and added a 3TB drive via the GUI to a pool which was actually meant to be part of a RAIDZ. I seem to have added it as a non resilient disk (not part of a RAIDZ or Mirror) resized the pool and of course now I can't undo it, I can't offline it or anything else. I get the usual error "cannot offline gptid/38b24fdb-d3c7-11e4-86ee-08606e6c8ccf: no valid replicas"

See attached pic and its disk "gptid/38b24fdb-d3c7-11e4-86ee-08606e6c8ccf".

Is there any way to either remove it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 22.18.23.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 22.18.23.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 166
J

jkh

Yeah, you'll have to destroy the pool and start over. That's one of the things that just can't be undone. You got a warning when you tried to do this, right? The storage UI is smart enough to yell at you in this case.

Tywin

Contributor
I wondered if someone could help. I've made a rookie mistake being in a hurry typically and added a 3TB drive via the GUI to a pool which was actually meant to be part of a RAIDZ. I seem to have added it as a non resilient disk (not part of a RAIDZ or Mirror) resized the pool and of course now I can't undo it, I can't offline it or anything else.

What @jkh said. Also, unless you were trying to add it along with a number of other 3 TB drives as a new RAIDZn vdev, note that you cannot add a new disk (except as a replacement for an old one) to a vdev, or change the RAIDZn level of an existing vdev.

Nik Valiris

Cadet
thanks guys much appreciated. I thought I could add a new disk to an existing vdev so I've learned something as well ;-) Okay so I guess another option other than trashing my array is to get another 3tb disk and attach it and make it a mirror and keep some resiliency.

david kennedy

Explorer
Did you create some of these via the cli?

Free as has some expectations of what should be on the disks and that the GUI is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.