SOLVED Unable to use Zerotier with SCALE

Okay so,
I've been trying for several hours now alot of solutions online to make this work and absolutely nothing works for me right now. As title says, I am trying to make Zerotier work with SCALE. It worked fine on CORE, but since CORE didn't allow me to virtualize my GPU properly I had to switch. I am new to TrueNAS (and to linux in general, the only linux distro I used before TrueNAS was Nobara 36, which is nowhere near like TrueNAS). I just don't know what to do anymore, everything just works exept for Zerotier and having my disks pop up in my VM (which I'll fix after ZT is set up)

Those are my specs:
2x Intel Xeon X5675
ASUS Z8NA-D6C
24GB DDR3-1066 ECC
GTX 1080 (virtualized)
Quadro K600 (non-virtualized)
3x1TB RAID-5
2TB HDD
4TB HDD
240GB SSD (Boot)

I tried using zyclonite/zerotier docker and I get this:

Code:
docker run --name zerotier-one --device=/dev/net/tun --net=host \
  --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --cap-add=SYS_ADMIN \
  -v /var/lib/zerotier-one:/var/lib/zerotier-one zyclonite/zerotier

docker exec zerotier-one zerotier-cli join <my network #>

and I get this:
image.png

I just need it to work and survive reboots. I have no experience so I would ask as much as possible to have very clear instructions on what to do (with commands by preference)

Thanks

There's a TrueCharts app for ZeroTier; seems that would be a better way to go.
Thanks alot ! Took me a bit to make it work, but it works now ! I'm gonna do the same with my second server now.

could you please explain me how did you make it work? thank you
I imported the TrueCharts Catalog and installed it throught it. You can add the key of your ZeroTier network in the ''extra args'' tab and then, once the docker app is done deploying, you will see the server in your network. Easier than dealing with the CLI and works just as well.

hernanbozzano

Dabbler
I imported the TrueCharts Catalog and installed it throught it. You can add the key of your ZeroTier network in the ''extra args'' tab and then, once the docker app is done deploying, you will see the server in your network. Easier than dealing with the CLI and works just as well.
thank you for the help, the "extra arg" tip that you gave me works flawlessly, i dont know where did you get it from because the documentation in the truechart website is empty about zerotier, nevertheless i'm not able to make it work, i read in other sites that i need to allow NET_ADMIN and SYS_ADMIN along a variety of tips that doesnt match my process... long story short, i couldnt find a clear explanation how to install zerotier on truenas scale. guess i will have to stay in truenas core still.

thank you for the help, the "extra arg" tip that you gave me works flawlessly, i dont know where did you get it from because the documentation in the truechart website is empty about zerotier, nevertheless i'm not able to make it work, i read in other sites that i need to allow NET_ADMIN and SYS_ADMIN along a variety of tips that doesnt match my process... long story short, i couldnt find a clear explanation how to install zerotier on truenas scale. guess i will have to stay in truenas core still.
Glad it worked for you. I actually didn't know at first where to put it so I tried extra args. That's how I got it to work. Also for ZT to work properly you need to enable ''Host-Networking (Complicated)'' under expert config and add those two in systemctl:
net.ipv4.ip_forward | value = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.src_valid_mark | value = 1

Doing so allowed me to fully utilize ZT.
I can access my SMB drives through ZT / access my 3 server when I'm not home

Attachments

• Screenshot_308.png
    Screenshot_308.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,687
  • Screenshot_309.png
    Screenshot_309.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,716
  • Screenshot_312.png
    Screenshot_312.png
    562.4 KB · Views: 1,697

hernanbozzano

Dabbler
Glad it worked for you. I actually didn't know at first where to put it so I tried extra args. That's how I got it to work. Also for ZT to work properly you need to enable ''Host-Networking (Complicated)'' under expert config and add those two in systemctl:

yes! i have found the same thing but i couldn't response the thread (there's something weird with www.truenas.com, the website doesnt load correctly).

it's working now, thank you for the help!

camberry

Cadet

I made an account just to thank you @The_Panda_Trueno This worked perfectly!

kyeotic

Dabbler
What "extra arg" did you set?

What "extra arg" did you set?
I simply added the Network ID as so in the picture below:

1679551111846.png

My bad for the late answer, I got pretty busy.

Also keep in mind that some steps are needed to make it work. I would suggest to scroll back up for all the settings to apply.

This thread is the closest I've come to getting this to work. Here's where I'm at

I can add my server to zerotier and other zerotier members can now successfully ping my server, but I can't ping any of them from the server. I also can't ssh into the server via the zerotier IP or access the web gui.

The only thing I can think of is that no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find anything resembling the "Host-Networking (Complicated)" option we're supposed to check when setting up the truecharts LXC. I'm running v1.10.3_5.0.5. Is there a way to manually enable that?

Pieces of this are new to me. Maybe there's something obvious I'm overlooking that was implied that I didn't pick up on?

nasman93

Cadet
This thread is the closest I've come to getting this to work. Here's where I'm at

I can add my server to zerotier and other zerotier members can now successfully ping my server, but I can't ping any of them from the server. I also can't ssh into the server via the zerotier IP or access the web gui.

The only thing I can think of is that no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find anything resembling the "Host-Networking (Complicated)" option we're supposed to check when setting up the truecharts LXC. I'm running v1.10.3_5.0.5. Is there a way to manually enable that?

Pieces of this are new to me. Maybe there's something obvious I'm overlooking that was implied that I didn't pick up on?
I am in the same boat, I saw the option to add the NIC dropdown menu but adding that as DHCP didn't do anything, and making it static to the IP of my truenas made me unable to access the nas at all until i disabled access on ZT web settings.

I did port forwarding, i even set it in DMZ temporarily and still couldn't connect to it. I was able to briefly ping it but couldn't access webgui or shares. I can't remember what settings i changed on the router or ztier on truenas settings but i can no longer ping it. :(

I can easily access my main truenas at a different location but that's likely because it's being accessed via opnsense controlling my network there.

I've only tried comcast locations so far but i don't think that has anything to do with it (hopefully)

I am in the same boat, I saw the option to add the NIC dropdown menu but adding that as DHCP didn't do anything, and making it static to the IP of my truenas made me unable to access the nas at all until i disabled access on ZT web settings.

I did port forwarding, i even set it in DMZ temporarily and still couldn't connect to it. I was able to briefly ping it but couldn't access webgui or shares. I can't remember what settings i changed on the router or ztier on truenas settings but i can no longer ping it. :(

I can easily access my main truenas at a different location but that's likely because it's being accessed via opnsense controlling my network there.

I've only tried comcast locations so far but i don't think that has anything to do with it (hopefully)
''Host Network (Complicated)'' is no longer an option since TrueCharts got updated.
I also cannot ping the WebUI anymore.
The only person that could possibly tell us what is the replacement of this option is @truecharts themselves I believe.
This issue is not router-related or anything. It is related to the app parameters itself.

kyeotic

Dabbler
I think we should stop looking to TrueCharts to solve this problem. They have said before they don't support host networking setups, and they recently broke basically all of their charts.

I've tried setting this up via Docker (official blue button) using zyclonite/zerotier and their router guide. The image connects to zerotier, and I can see it get a zerotier IP. I am not able to connect through zerotier to other apps running on TrueNas, but I can connect through the local IP.

1682792145867.png

I feel like this is close, and probably missing something on the zerotier side. Any help would be appreciated.

I think we should stop looking to TrueCharts to solve this problem. They have said before they don't support host networking setups, and they recently broke basically all of their charts.

I've tried setting this up via Docker (official blue button) using zyclonite/zerotier and their router guide. The image connects to zerotier, and I can see it get a zerotier IP. I am not able to connect through zerotier to other apps running on TrueNas, but I can connect through the local IP.

View attachment 66308
I feel like this is close, and probably missing something on the zerotier side. Any help would be appreciated.
The problem with this method though is that you do not get automatic updates. That's the reason I'm not a fan of this solution.

kyeotic

Dabbler
Are you referring to updates from zerotier or updates from TrueCharts? Because the latter seems like something you should not auto update, given the recent releases.

Are you referring to updates from zerotier or updates from TrueCharts? Because the latter seems like something you should not auto update, given the recent releases.
I am referring to zerotier updates throught TC. I don't wanna (or have the time to) bother having to manually download the update.

dbrannon79

Dabbler
Hello all, has anyone found a true working method to getting zerotier working to be able to access the TNscale gui or access smb shares? I had installed ZT inside TNscale and was working fine, but it got wiped on reboot. I have tried both the official charts app and the truecharts app with all the setting shown here by others but all I get is seeing the server popup in my ZT online account to assign it an IP. I cannot access the TNscale GUI or any of the shares.

in both the official app and truecharts app I look at the logs and see this...

2023-05-21 23:17:31.658383+00:00=> Configuring networks to join
2023-05-21 23:17:31.660872+00:00=> Joining networks from command line: [mynetworkid]
2023-05-21 23:17:31.661178+00:00===> Configuring join: [mynetworkid]
2023-05-21 23:17:31.662698+00:00=> Starting ZeroTier
2023-05-21 23:17:31.665081+00:00===> ZeroTier hasn't started, waiting a second
2023-05-21 23:17:31.668765+00:00/usr/sbin/zerotier-one: WARNING: failed to drop privileges (kernel may not support required prctl features), running as root
2023-05-21 23:17:31.671703+00:00/usr/sbin/zerotier-one: fatal error: cannot bind to local control interface port 9993
2023-05-21 23:17:32.669732+00:00===> ZeroTier hasn't started, waiting a second
2023-05-21 23:17:33.675251+00:00===> ZeroTier hasn't started, waiting a second
2023-05-21 23:17:34.679762+00:00===> ZeroTier hasn't started, waiting a second
2023-05-21 23:17:35.685361+00:00===> ZeroTier hasn't started, waiting a second
2023-05-21 23:17:36.690857+00:00===> ZeroTier hasn't started, waiting a second...
This last log keeps going forever