Unable to read some large files from SMB

Revilio

Cadet
Dear Community,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to FreeNAS. I have used FreeNAS for 2 years without problem untill recently.

Current problem: Unable to copy some large files (20GB) from the SMB share. The same error occurs for copying files from other lan connected computers and windows VM running under the same ESXi.

Windows shows "0x8007003B: An unexpected network error occurred." FreeNAS gave me "Device: /dev/da1 [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending)". The S.M.A.R.T of the failing da1 drive shows the following:

raw_read_error _rate: 13685
reallocated_sector_ct: 2004
reallocated_event_count: 3276
cuurent_pending sector: 8

There are two more drive show UDMA_CRC_error_count = 445 and 3 respectively, They don't have other errors and passed the SMART test. The remaining drives in the pool seems healthy.

I tried to copy the same files from snapshot but Window gave me same error "0x8007003B: An unexpected network error occurred." Other smaller files has been backed up at offline backup previously. Unfortunately these large files is recently created and I haven't back them up yet.

In FreeNas the Data pool still said it is "healthy". It is a raidZ2 pool which supposed to be still healthy after 2 drives failed. In reality I am already unable to access certain files when one disk appears to be failing. Why raidZ2 fails to protect the data this time?

Troubleshooting:

Will I be able to retrieve the files by simply replacing the failing drive? How can I find other possibilities that may lead to unable the large files?
(Apart from the failing drive mentioned above)
I am planning to follow the instruction shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DmMpETyBsY to replace the failing drive. Prior actually carrying out the replacement, I wish to ask if this is the right way to do in this scenario.

I wish to backup my large files before offlining the failing drive but I am out of availble option.
I tried several snapshots but they all failed to be copied out.
Is there any good tools that may help? I hope that replacing failing drive and resilvering will fix the problem but I am not sure whether it will work or not. I wish to backup before doing the replacement.

I am planning to use a 4TB TOSHIBA MG04ACA400N to replace the failing 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300, Can my FreeNAS pool accept a 4TB drive without problem? (I understand there will be 1 TB not used by the pool.)

My config: (For details please refer to my signature)

FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1 on ESXi 6.7.0 Update 2 (Build 13006603)

Motherboard: ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS (Bios 5802)
CPUs: 2x E5-2680 v2 2.7Ghz 8C16T
RAM: 8x 8Gb Samsung 2Rx4 PC3-14900R-13-11-E2-D3 ECC RDIMM (32GB assigned to FreeNAS)
ESXI Data Store: Crucial BX100 SSD 250GB
FreeNAS Backup Boot Drive: Lexar 8GB USB Stick

FreeNAS Pool
6x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 in RAID-Z2

FreeNAS Service: SMB, iSCSi

ESXi VM: 2 Win 10 VM, FreeNAS, pfSense

Thanks everyone to read my long post. Your assistance will be much appreciated.