Unable to open database

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenopp

Cadet
When I boot up I see the following messages on the console. They keep coming for about an hour then I get a message "dropping into shell":

This one comes up the most times (with different numbers):
-- g_vfs_done():ufs/FreeNASs1a[WRITE(offset=34819832, lenght=4096)]error = 5

These always come in pairs:
-- vnode_pager_getpages: I/O read error
-- vm_failt: pager read error, pid 1 (init)

Every once in a while I see this one:
-- unable to open database

I replaced a bad drive (I have 6 drives with double redundancy). When the system came back it showed I had two [2] detached volumes. Here's where I probably went wrong. Rather than shutting down and rechecking the cable connections on the HDDs, I clicked Replace on one of the drives. I assumed the Resilvering process started so I let it go. The next morning the data was readable, but the UI showed conflicting information. It recognized 5 HDDs (View Disks) but showed only 4 were online for the Dataset(Volume Status). Now I shutdown and checked the connections. Sure enough, one of the HDD data connections fell off. I plugged it back in and rebooted. Ever since, it's been unable to finish a boot.

1) Is there something I can do when it "drops into shell"? I get the # prompt
2) When I first boot I see a menu for a few seconds, but then it goes on with all the errors. Is there something I can do on that menu?

melloa

Wizard
Sorry you are having problems. Could you please provide details about your setup as requested in the rules, so the folks here can better help you?

kenopp

Cadet
I created a new USB stick with FreeNAS 8.3. Booted and imported an "existing volume". All my data is recovered. I guess my problem was a failed USB stick but that wasn't obvious since it occurred during the replacement of a bad HDD (too big a coincidence?)

m0nkey_

MVP
Wow, you're still on 8.3? Recommend you to upgrade. If you're running 32-bit, latest you can upgrade to is 9.2.1.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.