Unable to install Plex Media Server Plugin

darkcloud784

Dabbler
Everytime I try to install the plex media server plugin I recieve the following.

Code:
Error: PlexServer had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: Stopped PlexServer due to VNET failure Partial plugin destroyed

I am trying to install it with a static IP on my LAG interface. I'm pretty new to using Freenas plugins, so please be gentle if possible.

Yorick

Wizard
Make sure to keep the interface blank and just use the IP. Should work, as long as that LAG is all you have to communicate with the outside.

Edit: Also consider whether you want a plugin, or a bespoke jail. There are advantages to a jail, danb35's script makes installing one easy.

I'll shill my own video that walks through dan's script. The first 2 minutes go over why you might want to use it, and then you can make that decision. https://youtu.be/GvM32lWc_r4

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard
Might be a quirk of how the plugin system works in 11.3-U1. Let me test plugin with static IP. I know bespoke jail with static IP works fine.

Edit: Same issue on my end. There is something not right here. Basic doesn't ask me for default gw; advanced doesn't allow me to enter an IPv4 when doing VNET, everything else unchecked.

Maybe U2 fixes that but for now, creating your own jail is a better option if you want a fixed IP.

You could also stick with DHCP and DHCP reserve an IP in your DHCP server. You'll lose the other advantages of a bespoke jail, such as external metadata, faster updates, and access to hardware transcode if desired and hardware supports it.

Last edited:

darkcloud784

Dabbler
Might be a quirk of how the plugin system works in 11.3-U1. Let me test plugin with static IP. I know bespoke jail with static IP works fine.

Edit: Same issue on my end. There is something not right here. Basic doesn't ask me for default gw; advanced doesn't allow me to enter an IPv4 when doing VNET, everything else unchecked.

Maybe U2 fixes that but for now, creating your own jail is a better option if you want a fixed IP.

You could also stick with DHCP and DHCP reserve an IP in your DHCP server. You'll lose the other advantages of a bespoke jail, such as external metadata, faster updates, and access to hardware transcode if desired and hardware supports it.

Thanks for your confirmation, I'll also check out your video and such to see what method fits my needs better.