Unable to export pool - /var/db/system/syslog-127b3ac88ebd45cc8152eb1d50a360da': Device busy

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorhooi

Contributor
Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose a potential data-loss issue with my FreeNAS 11.x instance.

I'm trying to export the ZFS pool in question ("datastore") so that I can re-import it as read-only.

I've unmounted the main volume from the pool - but I'm unable to actually export the pool:
Code:
sudo zpool export datastore
Cannot unmount '/var/db/system/syslog-127b3ac88ebd45cc8152eb1d50a360da': Device busy

Is there some way of safely exporting the pool?

Regards,
Victor

victorhooi

Contributor
Basically I seem to have lost a number of my datasets since installing FreeNAS 11.X and importing my pool (and doing a zpool upgrade via the GUI):

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...1-multiple-volumes-missing.55072/#post-383787

Hence, super-paranoid right now about what FreeNAS is doing.

I've unmounted the "datastore" volume manually via the command-line.

Is it safe to do an export via the FreeNAS GUI?

As in, it won't forcibly remount datastore, or do a whole bunch of writes or things like that? Trying to preserve things.

Regards,
Victor

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it safe to do an export via the FreeNAS GUI?
I'd expect so, but I understand your concern. What's going on is that the .system dataset is on your pool (FreeNAS puts it there as soon as you create a pool, as the continuous writes to a USB boot device aren't usually a good thing), and files on that dataset are active. If you put it somewhere else, you should be able to export the pool.

victorhooi

Contributor
Is there a way to move it from the CLI on a running system?

Or is it safe to force unmount it? (Or will force-unmount syslog cause all sorts of weirdness).

victorhooi

Contributor
Otherwise if not, I will simply detach the volume from the GUI (which I assume is the same as export).

danb35

Hall of Famer
Or will force-unmount syslog cause all sorts of weirdness
I think it probably would, and no, I don't know of a way to move it from the CLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.