Unable to delete dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinM

Contributor
Earlier today I created a dataset named share/cifs/Advertising_Images on my FreeNAS 8.3.2 box that I am now not able to delete from the GUI. In fact I am not able do anything with this dataset. I get the same "Sorry, an error occurred" message if I try to edit ZFS options, change permissions, etc. See attached.

I want to make sure I don't make things worse, so before removing dataset manually from the commandline with "zfs destroy share/cifs/Advertising_Images" (presumably), I'd like to verify that this will remove the dataset from the GUI as well. The dataset has definitely been created:

[root@pnas01] ~# zfs list share/cifs/Advertising_Images
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
share/cifs/Advertising_Images 55.9K 1024G 55.9K /mnt/share/cifs/Advertising_Images

Thoughts?

Advertising_Images_Dataset_Destroy_Failure.png

Attachments

• Advertising_Images_Dataset_Destroy_Failure.png
    Advertising_Images_Dataset_Destroy_Failure.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 456
D

dlavigne

Wonders what is holding onto the dataset.... Does the share still exist? A periodic snapshot task? A replication task?

KevinM

Contributor
Wonders what is holding onto the dataset.... Does the share still exist? A periodic snapshot task? A replication task?

Ah, that must be it. I have parent datasets for each protocol, cifs, iscsi, nfs..., with snapshot and replication tasks set up for each. I suppose I will need to create separate snapshot and replication tasks for each dataset in order to avoid this issue.
Code:
[root@pnas01] ~# df -h | grep cifs
share/cifs                       29T     64k    29T   0%    /mnt/share/cifs
share/cifs/Test                  1.0T    1.1G   1T    0%    /mnt/share/cifs/Test
share/cifs/QA                    50G     382k   50G   0%    /mnt/share/cifs/QA
share/cifs/Advertising_Images    1.0T    56k    1T    0%    /mnt/share/cifs/Advertising_Images
share/cifs/AdvImages             1.0T    57M    1T    0%    /mnt/share/cifs/AdvImages

KevinM

Contributor
Ah, that must be it. I have parent datasets for each protocol, cifs, iscsi, nfs..., with snapshot and replication tasks set up for each. I suppose I will need to create separate snapshot and replication tasks for each dataset in order to avoid this issue.

I had a Test share under /mnt/share/cifs and was able to delete that without issue, so now I am back to having a dataset that for unknown reasons I cannot edit in any way.

I found this post which talks about editing /data/freenas-v1.db directly, but this is a production box and I want to verify the steps to get rid of this dataset and clear it out of the gui. I'm assuming I can remove it with "zfs destroy share/cifs/Advertising_Images," but I'm not clear on the "sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db" step. In the step below, shouldn't I be getting a list of datasets?

sqlite> select * from storage_mountpoint;
/mnt/share|rw|1|1

Dusan

Guru
I'm assuming I can remove it with "zfs destroy share/cifs/Advertising_Images," but I'm not clear on the "sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db" step. In the step below, shouldn't I be getting a list of datasets?

sqlite> select * from storage_mountpoint;
/mnt/share|rw|1|1
The storage_mountpoint table contains the mount points for each volume. In your case that one records indicates that volume 1 (as stored in the storage_volume table) is mounted read-write at /mnt/share. I don't think there is a table that holds datasets.
You can try to run fstat | grep Advertising_Images to see if there are any files open and what process is accessing them.

KevinM

Contributor
The storage_mountpoint table contains the mount points for each volume. In your case that one records indicates that volume 1 (as stored in the storage_volume table) is mounted read-write at /mnt/share. I don't think there is a table that holds datasets.
You can try to run fstat | grep Advertising_Images to see if there are any files open and what process is accessing them.

That's a good guess and I considered it as well, but I was also not able to do anything with the copy on the backup freenas box. It seemed to me that the issue had to be with the share/cifs/Advertising_Images dataset itself.

I was finally able to get rid of it by backing up and deleting the share/cifs dataset, then restoring share/cifs minus Advertising_Images.

I'm still not sure what the issue was, but at least it's resolved.

RocksterNas

Cadet
SMB service prevented me from deleting Data set, Stopped service, deleted and restarted. All Gone

cbarber

Dabbler
similar problem here, except no error message. click delete, yes I'm sure, page refreshes, deleted thing still there. wtf? I've have this happen on multiple objects in the file system. Freenas 9.3.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
similar problem here, except no error message. click delete, yes I'm sure, page refreshes, deleted thing still there. wtf? I've have this happen on multiple objects in the file system. Freenas 9.3.
Start your own thread since this one is almost 4 years old and has nothing to do with the current version of FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.