SOLVED Unable to access known IP ? Help please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladTepes

Patron
According to my router GUI my FreeNAS system is at 192.168.178.55

This is confirmed by pinging it:

Code:
C:\Users\Romulus user>ping remus.local

Pinging remus.local [192.168.178.55] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.178.55: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.178.55:
	Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
	Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Romulus user>

and yet if I type 192.168.178.55 into the address bar of any browser I get a

Hmmm... cannot reach this page
Try this
Make sure that you’ve got the right web address: http://192.168.178.55
Search for "http://192.168.178.55" on Bing
Refresh the page
type of error.

I have also tried putty - no luck there either.

Interestingly the CIFS share is still accessible on Windows

I had no problems yesterday on 192.168.178.3 which is SUPPOSED to be the static IP one the NAS. That doesn't work today either, no ping return, not shown as connected in router etc.

All this happened following a reboot (power plug out and back in) of the router last night.

Update:
OK weirdness ensues.

I managed to get into the console via putty now.

Well, I managed to get into this, whatever you'd call it - not sure if that's just the FreeBSD console or FreeNAS console...
Code:

FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE (FreeNAS.amd64) #0 r321665+c0805687fec(freenas/11.0-stable): Tue Sep  5 16:07:24 UTC 2017

FreeNAS (c) 2009-2017, The FreeNAS Development Team
		All rights reserved.
		FreeNAS is released under the modified BSD license.

For more information, documentation, help or support, go here:
		http://freenas.org
Welcome to Remus (FreeNAS)
root@Remus:~ # 

Using ifconfig shows the following IP info (amongst all the other usual stuff)

Code:
UM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
		ether 0c:c4:7a:84:74:5f
		inet 192.168.178.55 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.178.255
		nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
		media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)

but I still cant access that IP via a browser...?

Also of note: If I try to use the cli command it doesn't want to know about it..
Code:

root@Remus:~ # cli
cli: Command not found.

So, how on earth can I get to the GUI of my NAS box?

Thoughts very welcome :)

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You must have your FreeNAS configured to DHCP. You should definitely use a static IP instead. That way it always has the same IP address.
If the IP address is changed while the system is running, sometimes it doesn't work as expected. You could try to reboot the NAS.

VladTepes

Patron
Thanks Chris. Is there a way to do so from the console to which I have access? (I have a feeling not).
Is it safe / OK just to use the power switch to power off and then on again?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yes, there is a command
shutdown -r

VladTepes

Patron
Thanks did that and it did its thing and said system going down immediately.
System shutdown time has arrived

As expected this killed the putty ssh session (of course)

But the system itself is still powered up.

So... what's up there ?

Never mind. It worked. Thanks.

Last edited:

VladTepes

Patron
OK I rebooted the NAS and.... drum roll please...

We're BACK baby !!!
biggrin.gif
leet.gif

Seems simple, but I'm confused as to why it happened in the first place but hey. Don't really care now
smile.gif

Thank you all for your patience and assistance.

Good learning experience for me too !

VladTepes

Patron
So while it's working, I still wouldn't mind some interpretation please as to what this all means....

(see attached) the IP ... .3 gets me to the GUI but it shows Remus (the machine which FreeNAS is on) at IP ... .55

network display fritzbox 16092017 1437.jpg

danb35

Hall of Famer
root@Remus:~ # cli cli: Command not found.
cli was the command on the ill-fated FreeNAS 10. For 9 and 11, it's /etc/netcli (and don't ask me who thought it was a good idea to put an executable in /etc/).

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So while it's working, I still wouldn't mind some interpretation please as to what this all means....

(see attached) the IP ... .3 gets me to the GUI but it shows Remus (the machine which FreeNAS is on) at IP ... .55

View attachment 20630
No idea what any of that is about because it appears to be configuration inside your router and not a part of FreeNAS.
Don't use your router to set your FreeNAS IP address. Set it statically inside the FreeNAS user interface so you don't have to worry that a reboot of the router will assign a different address or leave you, even for a moment, with no address.

VladTepes

Patron
AH OK I thought it had to be done in the router. I'll have a look then. Cheers.

VladTepes

Patron
No idea what any of that is about because it appears to be configuration inside your router and not a part of FreeNAS.
Don't use your router to set your FreeNAS IP address. Set it statically inside the FreeNAS user interface so you don't have to worry that a reboot of the router will assign a different address or leave you, even for a moment, with no address.

Where do I set that, then?
On the network - global configuration page?
or network - add interfaces page ?

at the moment the 'global' page is empty aside from
hostname: Remus
domain: local

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Where do I set that, then?
On the network - global configuration page?
or network - add interfaces page ?

at the moment the 'global' page is empty aside from
hostname: Remus
domain: local
You are going to want to set it on the interface:
http://doc.freenas.org/11/network.html#interfaces
It probably has a check in the box for DHCP, just uncheck that and type the address into the IPv4 space and don't forget the Netmask. That way it will always be the same, which is what you want anyhow.
The reason that you had problems before is because FreeNAS already had an address and when the router was rebooted, it likely tried to give FreeNAS a different address. This is something that certain services can't tolerate because on a server the address is not supposed to change and the services were not written in such a way to allow for the address to change while the server is running. You can change the address, it just requires a reboot.
Setting the address through DHCP can be done, but as you already experienced, it can give unexpected and undesirable results.

VladTepes

Patron
Thanks for that.
Please forgive my next probably stupid question.

I don't know much about the ins and outs of networking (just enough to have gotten by so far)

I understand that a netmask divides an IP into 'subnets' so each device has it's own "IP".
Am I right so far?

Is there netmask a generic one that I should use, or is it something assigned by the router ordinarily, or should it be something specific to my situation?

So for example, as per the image I posted above, devices are assigned IP's in the range 192.168.178.x

Trying to get my head around this https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/n/netmask.htm
(perhaps there's a better explanation out there? )

If I were to hazard a guess.. would the appropriate netmask be 255.255.255.0 ?

Appreciate if someone could steer me in the right direction here.

Obviously the answer is needed, but a WHY would be very helpful too.

Thank you

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So, the 255 part of the mask tells the system what part of the IP address identifies the "network" and which part is the address of the computer. It is kind of like the difference between the zip code and the street number. The difference is that the netmask is configurable. Exactly how is very complicated. Most home networks use the 192.168.xxx.xxx range of addresses.
So, the numbers between the dots are called octets and they are counted from the left, first octet is 192, second octet is 168 and the third octet is 178 (from what you listed in your question).
That 178 can be what ever you want as long as all the systems use the same number and if your mask is 255.255.255.0
I am super simplifying this. It can be so much more complicated and I am not going to cover it all but breaking a network into zones that can't talk to one another without the traffic going through a router is called subnetting and people often call it a subnet-mask.
In your network, the part of the IP address that changes to represent the individual computers is the last octet that is represented by the 0 in the subnet-mask.
You can find out a lot more by doing a Google search. It can be a lot to wrap your head around.

VladTepes

Patron
So 255.255.255.0 would be what i should use, yes?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
For most home networks that is correct.

VladTepes

Patron
I appear to have properly set up the IP via the FreeNAS GUI.

Q: Should my IPMI be set up in the same way?
(I want it to be 192.168.178.2)

I asked because I tried, and using the same netmask but igb1 (rather than igb0 which is the netgui). It told me The network 192.168.178.0/24 is already in use by another NIC

Appreciate a little additional guidance... I am learning heaps. :)

EDIT: Further to the above I went in to the supermicro network settings menu and it seems to be assigned in there as per the attachment. Is that the correct way of doing things?

supermicro network info.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is that the correct way of doing things?
That is a correct way to do it. Another correct way is through the BIOS, and a third correct way is the FreeNAS web GUI at Network -> IPMI.

VladTepes

Patron
I guess I just wanted to make sure that I did it right. Of those various methods one must over-ride the others? That is if I gave it an address in the supermicro menu, another in FreeNAS and another in the router.... which one (if any) would take precedence I wonder?

Of course, it may cause the universe to implode so not something I'd risk.....

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I guess I just wanted to make sure that I did it right. Of those various methods one must over-ride the others? That is if I gave it an address in the supermicro menu, another in FreeNAS and another in the router.... which one (if any) would take precedence I wonder?

Of course, it may cause the universe to implode so not something I'd risk.....
Don't do three different addresses because it will cause problems. Pick a method and stick to it.
I set the IPMI address in the BIOS just because I go into it to set other things and it makes sense to me that I do it all at once.
I don't like doing it by DHCP because of the possibility of the address getting charged. I want to be certain what the address is even if the DHCP server (the router) is down.
I have set the IP address of my computer manually, in the computer, so that I can still get to other devices on the network even if the router is off.
These are all choices that I made so it is easier for me to trouble shoot the system.
You can do it differently, but you must know what you have so you know what to look at if it is not working.
Notes help. Often, it's months later when a problem comes up, so you need to backup your own brain somewhere you can find it at need. I have index cards. One for each device on the network. You can find your own way to do it, but I suggest that you have a copy that you can get to without the need for a computer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.