UFS volume Manager reports incorrect size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ablatem

Cadet
Hello,
I am new to FreeNas. I have installed 9.2.1.7 in a VM on ESXi 5.5. I created a 90 GB virtual disk to use and created a CIFS share so I can see this in Windows 7. In Win 7 I see the share and it indicates I have data there, which should be correct, 6.8 GB.

I added a hard drive as another volume and now when I look at the CIFS share, it shows the status bar as partly blue and indicates there is 6.8 GB of data. This is data I added last night. When I access the share in WIn 7, there is nothing seen - no files at all!

When I look in FreeNas web GUI, I see Used: 8.0 KiB(8%), Available: 78.4 GiB, Size: 85.2 GiB.

Can someone tell me where my 6.8 GB's of data went?

I have tried creating an Ubuntu 14 vm and adding the drive there. That did not work. IN the log, it says something about 'ufs was compiled with read-only support'.

At this point, I have indication that my data is there. I just cannot see anything in the CIFS share.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yay.. another person that virtualized FreeNAS. (yes, this is sarcastic)

Keep in mind that UFS is dead to FreeNAS. So anything you setup with UFS is never going to be upgradable to 9.3 when it comes out.

Ablatem

Cadet
Yes, I was testing it and since I didn't have the resources available to me for ZFS and since UFS is a choice I had, that is what I used.
Thanks for the info on UFS.

So, does this mean my 6.8 GB data is gone?

mjws00

Guru
You're up against a few things.

First, you haven't really given much information. You made a 90GB disk and a share. Looks like you copied data there via windows? Then you added another drive as a ufs volume?

Did you select a mount point? What do you see on the storage tab? Did you mount them in the same place? Have you tried browsing there via the CLI? Is there data on the second drive you added? Was it virtual as well or physical? Did you import it? What did you do with permissions? How are you accessing the share? How about a listing of /mnt/

Second. Virtualization is pretty much a surefire way to get folks to ignore questions. If you read those forum rules in the big red link up top you'll see there are necessary details, and there are also topics that are unlikely to get an answer.

Third. UFS is removed from future versions. No one is really running it, or cares to deal with it.

Fourth. You're probably under minimum spec which causes random problems. But you haven't given us a hint at hardware, so we'll just guess it could be anything and you haven't bothered to read the manual, google or the forums. Unfortunately the min specs are REAL not just suggestions to make things go fast.

So you face a few challenges. This crew is pretty quick to lend a hand and full of some brilliant folks, but we need something to work with. There is no way to tell what you've done from your description. In addition the blue bar in windows... when reading a ufs share via freenas is not accurate.

I would remove the second disk you added and the second share. UFS volumes are automatically mounted in /mnt. So get in there from a command line and see if you can 'ls -la' your files. It could very well be sitting there happily. If I were to try another OS to mount the disk... it would be a FREEBSD 9.2 or 9.3 livecd.

Good Luck.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So, does this mean my 6.8 GB data is gone?

For whatever combination of things that @mjws00 listed above that you feel that applies, yes. Nobody that is "pro" around here bothers answering and troubleshooting problems when virtualized. So many things break and whatnot that we gave up 2+ years ago. That's why when you read the "how to virtualize freenas" thread it says 'don't do it.'

We aren't kidding.

Ablatem

Cadet
OK. I was just testing and my next goal is to install FreeNas on a Dell 2950 server with 12 GB RAM. I am planning to use a flash drive.

@mjwsoo - I appreciate the reply and sorry for not providing more information. Your first paragraph is correct. I created a 90 GB virtual disk and
added it to the virtualized FreeNas server. I did copy data there using windows. Then I added a physical drive as an ufs volume.

Below is a screen capture of what I see on the Storage tab.

upload_2014-10-16_12-32-3.png

upload_2014-10-16_12-33-55.png

Once I get passed this, I will never virtualize FreeNas again or use UFS (since this won't be in the next release anyway).

The hardware I am using is a Dell Poweredge 2950 III with (2) 750 SAS drives and a 250 GB SATA drive. It has 12 GB RAM.
I have ESXi 5.5 running and I have created a vm where FreeNas resides. I have given FreeNas 2 GB RAM and it has 3 volumes that
I am attempting to use. One is a physical drive - 250 GB SATA .

I was able to get and look at the drive. From what I see, there is nothing in SpareVM90 (screen capture below)

upload_2014-10-16_12-47-19.png

Is that what you think also? If so I will remove any other data as soon s possible and get FreeNas out of my virtual environment.

I really appreciate your time in reading this and helping out a new FreeNas user!

mjws00

Guru
Unfortunately there is no way to tell what has happened. But if you can't see the files via the console freeNAS probably can't serve them up via cifs.

I only know with low resources strange things happen. But don't have any use for or significant experience with UFS. Whether you want to try and find that data on another OS is up to you. Looks like it's gone. Occasionally we see people create a dataset over existing files... and they won't show even though they are there.

Testing in a VM with adequate resources is a good way to learn. But never with meaningful data, and you'll still need 8GB RAM.

Ablatem

Cadet
I will chalk this up as a learning experience. The data that is lost at least wasn't critical but it would have been nice to have.

I will test this again on a server that is not a virtual machine and see what happens. Maybe I will try to attach to the 'problem' disk from the next
FreeNas install.

I do appreciate the help I have received and we can consider this issue closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.