UFS disc - From FreNAS 8.3.1 x86 to 9.1.1 x84

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgk

Dabbler
I used to have a system (Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 1 TB SATA Disc, FreeNAS 8.3.1 x86 on CompactFlash) with FreeNAS 8.3.1 and my data disc was the 1 TB SATA setup as UFS storage, which died on me. I had setup shares for CIFS (lots of movie files), FTP (mainly backups), AFP and a miniDLNA plugin to allow watching movies (never had a chance to try it).
So, I got hold of a -little better- system with Athlon 64 3500 and 2 GB RAM. I installed the new FreeNAS 9.1.1 on the CompactFlash and installed the 1 TB (UFS) data disc in the new system.
I booted up the system, loged in, setup the admin user passward and the network (to use static IP, same as the previous one) and now I need my DATA back! How can I do it?

1) can I import the UFS disc into the new (9.1.1 x64) system? What will happen if I choose "Import Volume" from the "Storage" menu entry? The choice "View Disks" reports "no entry has been found".

alternatively

2) can I restore (Upload) the previous system (8.3.1 x86) settings which had all the inforamtion about the data disc, etc? whta will happen if I upload the previous syetm settings? will it screw up my new 9.1.1 x64 system?

Any help upreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should be able to import your old config file if you have it saved. If not, you should be able to follow the import volume section of the FreeNAS manual to help you import your data disks safely.

warri

Guru
I just tried this in a VM. You should be able to import the disk via Import Volume - choose a Name, the correct device and UFS. I think this only works if the device is listed under View Disks. If that is not the case, check your boot log if the disk was detected properly (or use camcontrol devlist from the console). If not, your hardware may be incompatible with FreeNAS 9.x.

sgk

Dabbler
Thank you guys for the responses. You are -probably- both right. I tried cyberjock's solution and it worked just fine! I uploaded my old (from FreeNAS 8.3.1) config file and VOILA! it saw my old UFS data disk and restored the various services that I had setup on my old -dead- system. It also restored a plugin (miniDLNA) that I had installed in the old system but never activated. I don't know if it works, since it is for x86 system and my new 9.1.1 system is x64.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.