UEFI booting doesn't work

fa2k

Dabbler
I have a quite old server (Intel S2600CP board), but it supports UEFI. Having trouble booting TrueNAS SCALE in UEFI mode. When I try, it boots to the BIOS setup screen (it probably fails to boot). I need UEFI to use PCI passthrough for a AMD GPU.

I can enable "Optimised UEFI boot" (can't remember the exact name) in BIOS where it disables the Option ROMs and legacy boot compatibility. I'm able to run the installer from the USB stick (in this mode) and install to a pair of SATA drives connected to the motherboard chipset's SATA controller. There are two new boot options in my BIOS now TrueNAS-1 and TrueNAS-0. So it really seems to have installed the UEFI mode boot loader. It's able to boot in legacy mode but not Optimised UEFI mode.

Do you have any tips for how to boot in UEFI?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Update your BIOS?

fa2k

Dabbler
Thanks, a good suggestion. Surprisingly, there was a newer (2018) BIOS available for this board (Good job Intel!)

The new BIOS didn't solve my problem - but I think my problem isn't with UEFI boot any more, so I'll go elsewhere with my problems.

I've found a work-around for the UEFI issue: If I attach the new AMD GPU to CPU 2 (PCI slot), and boot in legacy mode using the integrated GPU on CPU 1, then the host BIOS won't touch the AMD GPU and it's only used by the VM. I get a picture at 800x600 with the open source drivers and a host reset with the amdgpu-pro driver.