Two NAS's vs One - Best use of hardware. Would appreciate opinions

HarambeLives

Contributor
Hopefully off-topic is the correct forum, this didn't seem specifically related to to TrueNAS, but more about utilizing hardware effectively. Hopefully at least a few of you can suffer through this wall of text.

I currently have a Synology DS1817+ which has all of my data on. The problem is that when encrypted, its slow. so slow. The fix here is to move to TrueNAS as it doesn't look like even a faster Synology box will fix my problems. I am using SHR2 on Synology, which is RAID6 but with ANY drive sizes, so I have a mix in there including 5 x 8TB drives, a 6TB drive, a 12TB drive and a missing 12TB (RMA, then I stole it for something else) giving me around 40TB of space (There is some missing there because of the mismatch of drives)

Because of these different sizes, isn't too easy, as I'll need to settle on a single drive size for TrueNAS and make sure I have at least 1 on the shelf. And that means buying drives in these hard times...

I looked at what exactly I'm storing, and this is what it comes down to
  • 20TB of "Bulk media". Mostly 10GB~ MKV files. I honestly don't really care if I lose this. I'd rather not, but it's not really important.
  • 1.8TB of Veeam backups from my ESXi Server and other important machines
  • 1.2TB of actually important data. Documents, photos, etc. This is what I care about most
The Veeam backups don't need any real speed or any real redundancy, and neither does the Bulk Media to an extent. If I lost the Veeam backups it literally would not matter, but I'd rather not have to collect 20TB of media again. Both of these would benefit from snapshots for ransomware protection and to protect against accidental deletion.

The 1.2TB of actually important data I want to have at least 2 drive fails worth of protection, snapshots and whatever else I can throw at them. Ideally I'd like this to be very fast. Scrolling through a large photo library on the Synology is a giant pain, so I want to correct this here and have this fast.

Here is where the hardware choices come in. Currently I have an ESXi server with 12 x 3.5" Bays on the front, 2 x 2.5" bays on the rear, 256GB DDR4 ECC, Dual E5-2680 V4's, 3.4TB Micron 9100 Pro SSD, dual 10G NIC's etc. I do not use ANY of those drive bays. On this server runs a lot of stuff, including PLEX.

My thinking here is that I could very easily pass an HBA through into a TrueNAS VM and use those drive bays. I have a ton of RAM free, and reliable boot media. The issue is that I don't want my Veeam backups stored on the same system they are from, as that makes no sense. And I don't know if I want my important data on there, as there is a LOT of layers of complexity, and it means any time I am updating/working on the ESXi server, I lose all my important data. It also means a single hardware failure like a board, takes out almost all of my services at home.

Ideally the important data needs to stay on a box that is JUST A NAS. So there is no tinkering, and minimal downtime. So, I thought of an idea. Move only the Bulk Media into a TrueNAS VM on the ESXi server, and build a nice fast box for the Veeam backups, Important data, and whatever else I need down the line. This also gives me the opportunity to replicate the 1.2TB of important data onto the TrueNAS VM in ESXi, meaning if the NAS is down, I can get the data on the ESXi VM.

My idea is to use the 5 x 8TB drives for PLEX, and have RAIDZ1. I'd buy 2 extra drives, one for a spare on the shelf, and another to add to the array giving me 40TB of space for Bulk Media. and using only half of the drive bays. This gives me extra bays to migrate to larger drives in the future. Just add 6 bigger ones on the other side, move the data, and take the old out.

The 12TB drive is called for in my Blue Iris NVR system, as well as the 6TB drive. So that leaves me the need for more drives for my new TrueNAS system, but then I can buy all nice matched drives with a spare

Does this logic make sense to you guys? My hesitation with the plan is that 40TB is pretty much all I need in total. So add another drive to the shopping list and go to RAIDZ2 in the new NAS and won't have 2 systems to manage, and I won't need to buy a whole extra set of drives for my important data. But then I won't be making use of the bays in my ESXi server, won't have the replication, and I'm "stuck" on 8TB drives for a while. For what its worth, the new TrueNAS system will have 12 x 3.5" bays, and 2 x 2.5" bays just like the other one

What do you think? Split the systems up, or just go with one NAS?

HarambeLives

Contributor
I just thought of another point. If I do split the systems, it means I can update and work on the NAS while me and my wife are watching PLEX. Currently rebooting the NAS of course drops PLEX as its the storage

Another plus for this config is that the storage networking stays within ESXi and is "free", it would be the same from my Deluge (Torrents) container accessing the storage. That all stays within one box.

Maybe I'm just talking myself into it more, but I think splitting these systems makes sense. Would love your thoughts

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Simplicity (and by that security) was my reason to go for a dedicated NAS box, running on bare metal.

HarambeLives

Contributor
I ended up choosing to go with two

Most of the reasons above, but the main reason was seeing how well snapshot replication works. Now I can have a local backup to the ESXi box from my main high performance box

Papa

Dabbler
Is your Blue Irus running on other processors(s) and your storage is your NAS? I use NetCam Studio and the load is heavy on the processors.

HarambeLives

Contributor
Is your Blue Irus running on other processors(s) and your storage is your NAS? I use NetCam Studio and the load is heavy on the processors.

Blue Iris is running on its own machine with an i7 8700K, and its own storage. it now has 2 x 12TB disks and 3 x 8TB disks