Two identical FreeNAS boxes, one can join AD, one can't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hovertac

Cadet
Hi all, I recently upgraded my primary FreeNAS box with newer hardware and built a 2nd one with identical hardware. The only thing unidentical is the drives, which my primary has 5x2TB in RAIDz1 and the secondary has 3x8TB in RAIDz1.

Currently both boxes are running fresh installs of 11.1-U1.

The primary one CANNOT join AD. I've been working on this issue for days, and I just performed another fresh install with a new flash drive about 30 minutes prior to writing this thread - and it was able to join AD however no one could authenticate. I then realized I forgot to re-import my storage volume and once I did, AD would no longer function.

On the primary, wbinfo -t responds:

Code:
root@freenas01:/mnt/storage # wbinfo -t
could not obtain winbind interface details: WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE
could not obtain winbind domain name!
checking the trust secret for domain (null) via RPC calls failed
failed to call wbcCheckTrustCredentials: WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE
Could not check secret

However, prior to importing the ZFS volume, wbinfo -t responded (response pulled from secondary):

Code:
root@freenas02:~ # wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret for domain HOVERTAC via RPC calls succeeded

Attempting to Enable AD on the primary box returns this:

Code:
Feb 19 14:41:27 freenas01 uwsgi: [middleware.exceptions:36] [MiddlewareError: Active Directory failed to reload.]

Is it a possibility that my ZFS array is making AD not work? Considering that's the one and only difference between these 2 boxes?

I have also referenced this guide for help: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...directory-folder-file-user-permissions.20610/

Last edited by a moderator:

Hovertac

Cadet
Just confirmed - Active Directory works after I detached the volume.

What could cause this?? All I need is for CIFS to be authenticated by the DC so I can use redirected folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.