SOLVED Trying to understand jail network configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjwalfredo

Cadet
Hey Folks,

I am trying to understand what FreeNAS is doing when I use the normal UI to create a jail and configure it to use dhcp. I want to do this because the configuration resulting from the GUI is perfect for setting up port forwarding on my Asus router (the jail's interface gets a MAC address that I can then use to assign a reserved IP address over dhcp). The problem is that I want to create a jail to run nginix, but to do that, it seems I need to use iocage. Therefore, I am trying to figure out what is going on so I can manually recreate the same setup in my iocage jail. If I can get this right, then I can hopefully expose nginix, running in a jail, to the Internet

So far I have worked out that I need to understand the following:
- bridge network device
- epair
- How to configure a mac for the epair devices
- How to set dhcp for the jail's device

Can anyone help me out? I'm hoping to learn how to fish instead of being just fed a fish :) Additionally, I'd appreciate any feedback as to whether I am even on the right track or not. Thanks!

mjwalfredo

Cadet
It seems the command I linked to above does exactly what I need for my iocage jail. After restarting the jail, it is configured with an interface with a MAC that my router can reference in order to assign it a specifically configure IP address. Therefore I will marked this as solved.

However, it appears that iocage is configuring things a little different under the covers than the warden based jails I created in the gui. I'm curious enough to try to figure out what the difference is. If I am able to, I will try to document for the benefit of the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.