trying to mount a NFS share on ubuntu gives: "unprivileged port" error, how to change port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

senior_hombre

Explorer
Hi,
i created a NFS share on the NAS and am currently trying to mount it on a ubuntu client using the following mount command:
Code:
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.17:/mnt/volume1/data /mnt/data

which gives the following error message:
Code:
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.0.17:/mnt/volume1/data

The console log on the NAS shows the following error:
Code:
mount request from 192.168.0.11 from unprivileged port

Before anyone asks: the authorized networks setting for the share is: 192.168.0.0/24

I googled for the error and found on this site: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=NFS
that this error is related to the use of ports higher than 1023, and it gives a solution too, which i did not tried for now because it is basically to enabling an option called "insecure"!
I would rather try a "secure" solution first, like using a different port on the client!

So my question is, how to use a different port on the client?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You're better off asking that over at the Ubuntu forums, since it's an Ubuntu question. Maybe someone here has the required experience, but I wouldn't count too much on it.

senior_hombre

Explorer
The unprivileged port error is an error the FreeNAS console shows! Ubuntu is just the client that cannot connect.
But FYI i just checked with a debian client -> same error!
So it has to be a FreeNAS problem.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The unprivileged port error is an error the FreeNAS console shows! Ubuntu is just the client that cannot connect.
But FYI i just checked with a debian client -> same error!
So it has to be a FreeNAS problem.

It might be a FreeNAS issue, but you're looking for a client-side workaround. Unfortunately, the FreeNAS manual makes no mention of the port used. Maybe someone with more experience might be able to offer a server-side solution.

senior_hombre

Explorer
Yes i hope so, maybe it is just a setting iam missing, but the documentation is pretty clear and i cannot find something i missed.

senior_hombre

Explorer
Yes i hope so, maybe it is just a setting iam missing, but the documentation is pretty clear and i cannot find something i missed.

Yatti420

Wizard
Make sure you place network clients in the freenas global hosts config..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.