Trying to install TrueNAS Core Jails has Broken me

mjayjock

Dabbler

This is probably my last post, at least for a while. I have literally spent 100s of hours trying to get TrueNAS Core to work with jails, specifically, sonarr, radarr, transmission, and sabnzbd. I have been using the very detailed guide from salsacalientemuy. It is somewhat outdated but the best I was able to find.

I followed it carefully but only got sabnzbd to consistently start and connect via GUI and configure. The situation that really got me was sonarr. It installed in its jail and I could start and stop it but it would not connect to the web GUI. Then, while working on it, it refused to start as a service. Radarr never started after the installation via the guide. Transmission started but would not connect. I did a lot of searching but could not find a solution for any of this here or elsewhere on the internet.

This group has some really nice, knowledgeable, and helpful folks and I learned a lot from them but I think I may eventually wind up giving up on trying to get TrueNAS Core to work for jails.

If anyone reading this knows of a better guide to installing these programs in TrueNAS Core jails, I would really appreciate hearing about it. Given such a guide I would probably try one more time to get them installed and running.

I am sure there is a solution to my current problems but I do not think I have the energy to pursue it without deleting the jails and starting over. I simply need something that I know, or have confidence that it, will work for me.

I keep reading on this forum and elsewhere about TrueNAS jails breaking for after time or updates and I find that fact to be very disconcerting. I really want a stable system.

I previously put up Esxi7 an older whitebox (i7, H240 disk controller, NAS HDs, SSD system drive,32 GB RAM). Installed two Windows 10 VMs and put up plex, sonarr, radarr, sabnzbd all working together well. I wanted more storage and I wanted to learn more so I looked to TrueNAS Core. As a NAS TrueNAS is simply outstanding but I wanted to put up jails so that I could run the above media ecosystem in one PC rather than two.

At this point, from my perspective, getting TrueNAS Core jails to work is simply too complicated and unstable for me to continue. I may wind up using the Esxi7 box and VMs for the apps and my TrueNAS install for the storage. That will almost certainly work but it is not satisfying for me from a mastery or learning perspective.

I am going to take some time to study Unraid and maybe take a dive into getting it to work installing the above media programs in a NAS. The money for Unraid is not an issue if it works, is more stable (from my perspective), and is more user-friendly.

I want to thank the very nice folks on this forum who kindly helped me. I know this failure is mine but I have reached the end of my rope

Davvo

MVP
You are posting in the wrong section, you should go and look here. Jails are easy to setup.

Please, follow proper netiquette while posting... Looking at a completely bold text is painful and doesn't make people help you more.

If you think UNRAID is best suited to your needs please use it.