TrueNAS wont boot with intel X710 NIC

firesyde424

Contributor
Agreed. I will try that.

Is there any way to troubleshoot the boot process? I did a quick peek at /var/log/messages but didn’t see a lot
If it's possible, it might be worth swapping the cards. Put the one you are having an issue with into this other server and take that server's card and put it into the R740xd to see if the issue follows the card.

kenster

Dabbler
alright. so I've had some success. the server boots with the card installed now using these slot disablement settings, but it's not detected in Truenas.

Slot 3 is the Boss 1 RAID card for the OS

Installing the other card resulted in the same result, so it's not a card hardware issue. Pretty sure it's a BIOS configuration, but at this point I'm not sure what.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-03 135152.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-03 135152.png
    908.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's not super surprising, if the card is disabled it had better not stop the system from booting...

What's the deal and why does it refuse to boot? Good question, we're down to few options... Have you tried disabling the OpROM for the slot the card is in? Maybe that's what's causing trouble, even if it is pretty late in the boot process for such a problem.

kenster

Dabbler
That's not super surprising, if the card is disabled it had better not stop the system from booting...

What's the deal and why does it refuse to boot? Good question, we're down to few options... Have you tried disabling the OpROM for the slot the card is in? Maybe that's what's causing trouble, even if it is pretty late in the boot process for such a problem.
I read it wrong, I thought disabled simply sets the card slot to ignore during boot.
In Dell BIOS System Bios > Miscellaneous > Load Legacy Video Option ROM is disabled.

This won't even boot when the slot is set to 'Boot Driver Disabled'

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What about the Option ROM disable setting?

kenster

Dabbler
What about the Option ROM disable setting?
I wasn't able to find anything like it in BIOS, but you, my friend are a gentleman and a scholar. it's rare indeed to see an export of your level be patient for so long with a vague issue and not resorting to ridicule or superiority chest puffing.

based on this post I disabled the onboard NIC in BIOS, set the PCI slot to "Boot Driver Disabled' and Bob's your uncle.

I'm connected on 10GB with the Intel SFP module now :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That... Is bizarre. Can you get us the model of the rNDC that's installed? Or ar least the configuration (e.g. Quad-GbE Broadcom, Intel I350+X540, ...)

kenster

Dabbler
It’s a broadcom. 2 1GB copper and 2 10GB copper. I’ll get the model number next week.