SOLVED TrueNAS Scale Visible In Windows Networks But Not Browseable

HarryMuscle

Contributor
I can see my TrueNAS Scale machine in Windows Networks, however, if I double click on it I get a message telling me "Windows Cannot Access \\SERVER - Check the spelling of the name." If I access the server directly via the IP (ie: \\192.168.1.100) it is fully browseable, which leads me to believe that this must just be a name resolution issue of some sorts.

Does the NetBios name of the machine (ie: SERVER) need to have a DNS entry in order for Windows to be able to browse it? I was under the impression that NetBios can tell Windows what the IP address is without requiring DNS to get involved.

Thanks,
Harry

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I can see my TrueNAS Scale machine in Windows Networks, however, if I double click on it I get a message telling me "Windows Cannot Access \\SERVER - Check the spelling of the name." If I access the server directly via the IP (ie: \\192.168.1.100) it is fully browseable, which leads me to believe that this must just be a name resolution issue of some sorts.

Does the NetBios name of the machine (ie: SERVER) need to have a DNS entry in order for Windows to be able to browse it? I was under the impression that NetBios can tell Windows what the IP address is without requiring DNS to get involved.

Thanks,
Harry
Make user the netbios name server and wsdd are enabled in network->global configuration.