TrueNAS SCALE fails to boot "error: out of memory" and unable to mount root fs

ddidd

Cadet
Hi all, this is my first post as I'm new to TrueNAS and this forum. I have searched around and unfortunately couldn't figure out what's going on.
My TrueNAS SCALE for some reason can only boot successfully once after fresh installation and encounters the below error after any shutdown or reboot.

Screenshot 2023-08-01 005034.png

Then followed by the below boot dmesg log and completely hangs thereafter:

1690814750480.png

I have tried to rule out hardware issue by swapping memory around, using a single stick, unplugging all the drives, installing OS on NVMe drive instead of SSD.
I have also installed Ubuntu server as OS which had no issue to run/reboot/shutdown and pass stress test.
The issue seems to be related to TrueNAS SCALE OS, similar but not exactly the same as the other post here.

During the successful boot I have no issue to list all the hardware and access WebUI. I have the successful boot dmesg log if that's any useful.

mobo: Maxsun MS-TZZ H610ITX 2.5G/MS-TZZ H610ITX 2.5G, BIOS 5.27 03/31/2023
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-12100
RAM: Corsair 16Gx2 2133Mhz
OS-Drive: Samsung 870EVO 500G or ZHITAI NVME 2TB
PSU: ThermalTake SFX 450
HBA: Broadcom / LSI SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3

Any idea will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ddidd

Cadet
I suspect it's related to the bug reported here as I am using a 4K monitor. However so far I had no luck to fix it by setting GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

ddidd

Cadet
The issue eventually went away after I've done all the below. I suspect the root cause being the last one.
- setting GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
- modifying /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf following here
- unplugged ZHITAI TiPro7000 NVME

adrian_cam

Cadet
The issue eventually went away after I've done all the below. I suspect the root cause being the last one.
- setting GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
- modifying /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf following here
- unplugged ZHITAI TiPro7000 NVME
Hi ddidd

Thanks for documanting your issue i had the same issue and this post solve my problem.

Thank you so much!! Regards!

Sturmkater

Cadet
Hi, I got the same error after a fresh installation today. I managed to start up when deactivating VT-D (as mentioned in one of your links).
- setting GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 did not work (is the path correct? had no file at /etc/default/grub)
Why did unplugging your NVME storage help? I don't want to unplug it, I need it.

Any Ideas on how to start wit VT-D activated? Its crucial to me since I want tu use it as a VM Server.

Sturmkater

Cadet
PS: I found the correct location /usr/share/grub/default/grub

But sill cant boot with VT-D activated:-(

Jayden

Cadet
This is related to GPU memory, which runs out. I had integrated GPU on motherboard with adjustable memory. Got the error with 64 Mb. Not sure what is the minimum amount of GPU ram needed for Scale.

Added external GPU, which solved the problem

ddidd

Cadet
Hi, I got the same error after a fresh installation today. I managed to start up when deactivating VT-D (as mentioned in one of your links).
- setting GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 did not work (is the path correct? had no file at /etc/default/grub)
Why did unplugging your NVME storage help? I don't want to unplug it, I need it.

Any Ideas on how to start wit VT-D activated? Its crucial to me since I want tu use it as a VM Server.
I modified /etc/default/grub.d/truenas.cfg instead, which should be read by GRUB during boot anyway.
I dunno about the NVME...ZHITAI is a relatively new Chinese brand and I wasn't sure if they did something unusual. After some reading, I tend to believe NVME cache doesn't improve the performance much anyway, so I gave it up.

I had no issue with VT-D, it's enabled on my machine.

ddidd

Cadet
This is related to GPU memory, which runs out. I had integrated GPU on motherboard with adjustable memory. Got the error with 64 Mb. Not sure what is the minimum amount of GPU ram needed for Scale.

Added external GPU, which solved the problem
Interesting...I don't think Scale would require a huge amount of GPU memory. Eventually mine loaded fine with the integrated GPU and it's doing a great job in decoding/transcoding my media files for Jellyfin/Plex.